Lactose (Milk Sugar) addition in Milk Stout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lactose (Milk Sugar) addition in Milk Stout

I brewed a Milk Stout a month ago and instead of adding my milk sugar into the brew kettle I added it to 1 gallon of wort at 200 degrees and then added to fermenter. I did this because I am a 1 BBL brewery and wanted all of my lactose to go to my batch versus what I would lose in the dead space of my brew kettle (about 2 gallons). It worked great....finished a tad higher then I wanted at 1.029, but turned out to be very delicious. On to try #2 of the recipe, all the same, but when I went to transfer to Brite tank, the milk sugar solids had solidified in the bottom of the conical....what went wrong here? Should I add more lactose and just adjust for any losses? Did I miss judge the fermenter and should have dumped the solids? Thoughts??
    Jason Blair
    MadCow Brewing Company

Originally posted by madcowbrewing View Post
    I brewed a Milk Stout a month ago and instead of adding my milk sugar into the brew kettle I added it to 1 gallon of wort at 200 degrees and then added to fermenter. I did this because I am a 1 BBL brewery and wanted all of my lactose to go to my batch versus what I would lose in the dead space of my brew kettle (about 2 gallons). It worked great....finished a tad higher then I wanted at 1.029, but turned out to be very delicious. On to try #2 of the recipe, all the same, but when I went to transfer to Brite tank, the milk sugar solids had solidified in the bottom of the conical....what went wrong here? Should I add more lactose and just adjust for any losses? Did I miss judge the fermenter and should have dumped the solids? Thoughts??

I would just add it in the kettle so it has some time to boil and mix in. Even if some clumps up in the dead space just add more next time until you are getting the result you are looking for. Ive never had it settle out after adding to the boil or even really notice any left in the trub pile.

Comment

Working...
    X