Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I bottle my beer?

Hi,

this is my first batch as professional brewer. I've brewed a beer a month ago (OG 1049). After a month, the gravity has stopped at 1015 (that is unusually high for US-05). The beer is still producing heat (I can see that because I have to cool it, to maintain the constant temperature).

In your opinion: Is the beer ready to be bottled, or should I wait till it doesn't produce any more heat?

Thanx,
    Yury

Originally posted by Yury View Post
    Hi,

this is my first batch as professional brewer. I've brewed a beer a month ago (OG 1049). After a month, the gravity has stopped at 1015 (that is unusually high for US-05). The beer is still producing heat (I can see that because I have to cool it, to maintain the constant temperature).

In your opinion: Is the beer ready to be bottled, or should I wait till it doesn't produce any more heat?

Thanx,
    Yury
    Hi Yury,
    I would give it more time. If it is "still producing heat", that heat is coming from somewhere, i.e. chemical reaction like fermentation. Allow the fermentation to complete, specific gravity around 1.010-1.007. Bottling too soon could result in exploding bottles.
    Glacier Brewing Company
    406-883-2595
    info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Some additional information about my beer: the gravity reading was constant for more that 1 week and I used a fair amount of caramel and munich malts.

Comment

If the gravity has been the same for a week then unfortunately there is a big chance that is where it is going to stay. You can try heating the beer up a few more degrees and pitching some more yeast to see if that brings it down some. If it doesnt then there is a good chance the problem is on your brew side like your mash temperature being too high or using too many grains that attribute no fermentables like caramel or roasted malts.

Comment

Working...
        X