square footage and brewery size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• square footage and brewery size

I am working with an investor that has a new upgraded space for my brewery. We are currently a 3bbl brewery in about 1250 sq ft. The space he has is 2130 sq ft with a large outdoor area for a beer garden. He also has lots of undeveloped property behind this space for a small storage unit/shipping container for malt, bottles, etc.
    Our main business will be distribution in bottles and kegs. There will be small tap space/tasting area inside the brewery along with the beer garden outside. We will not have food service. What do you think the largest system we could fit in this space and annual bbl output? I am thinking 10bbl brewhouse with 4+ fermenters, 2-3 brites and a 2-4 head bottling line. I wasnt planning to serve from the brites.

Thanks

Ceiling height?

Comment

Not 100% but he thinks 14-15ft high ceiling. Gonna get that soon.
      Front wall - 22.5 meters / 73.81 ft
      length - 11.94 meters / 39.17 ft
      Back wall - 11.5 meters / 37.72 ft

The shape of the building is a trapezoid, which I think is a little awkward on the 2 front corners as we may not be able to use part of it super efficient. maybe some retail or have the bottling system in one of those corners.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by NicaHops; 12-22-2017, 09:47 AM.

Comment

You have got an outline plan. Now make up a comprehensive list of materials and equipment. Then drop some circles representing the brewery vessels, drawn to scale onto the plan, allowing space for cleaning, access for maintenance etc. Then do the same for the bottling and keg equipment, and the same for pallets of raw materials, empty kegs etc, and full materials. Only you know how much of each product you are going to, or intend to produce, now and in say three years time at full production, and what stocks of materials you need because of local supply ease or difficulty. You won't get it right first time, but at least it will give you a feel of what is possible, and then you can play around with locations, numbers etc.

You could always post your proposals here - as others have done as it is easier to give sensible feedback once you have an outline plan
        dick

Comment

Hi - we are planning and building now.

Couple things to ask yourself:

Do you want the space maximized for production (ie. absolutely packed in), or do you want it to be a little “prettier” with nice space and symmetry??

Get as much as you can outside or on the roof - chiller, boiler, keg storage, CO2 tank, perhaps a small silo??

You have lots of ceiling height, so you could get your BBT’s, HLT and CLT made tall and skinny to save floor space. Our LT’s are gonna be 63” x 16’ tall. Your FVs should maintain that magic ratio, I think.

We’re putting a 20BBL in about 5000ft2 with 5 40BBL FVs, 2 40BBL BBT’s, 5 20BBL BBT (serving), plus CLT/HLT. We have things nicely spaced out for aesthetics, and 300+ sqft is cooler space. I bet you could get a nice 10BBL system, maybe 15BBL, in 2200ft2. As mentioned above - start drawing circles on photocopies of your plan. It’s a fun project!! I’ve loved designing our shop.

JR
          Last edited by Jer; 12-22-2017, 10:20 PM.
          Jeremy Reed
          Co-Founder and President, assistant brewer, amateur electrician, plumber, welder, refrigeration tech, and intermediately swell fella
          The North of 48 Brewing Company
          Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

www.no48.ca

Comment

I was bored, so I did some iPhoneCAD of what I’d do with that cool building.... I kinda guessed on scale based on those 3M marks....

Red circles = brewhouse
            Blue = CLT
            Red = HLT
            Green = FV’s

Then you have the entire centre part for taproom, canning line, etc. It’s symmetric, pretty to look at, and functional I think....

Click image for larger version

Name:	05614B2D-F68F-4523-8CB2-B10327E13A9A.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	191596
            Last edited by Jer; 12-22-2017, 10:21 PM.
            Jeremy Reed
            Co-Founder and President, assistant brewer, amateur electrician, plumber, welder, refrigeration tech, and intermediately swell fella

www.no48.ca

Comment

Thanks!
              I'll have to check out iPhoneCAD, any other softwares I could download to mess around with that?
              There is a bathroom in the corner where you have the CLT and then a door to the outside beer garden right next to that.
              There are big massive windows on the front side where the entrance is so we were thinking to show off some of the nice shiny equipment up front. but i do like the setup having a wide open area in the middle. Attached is a mock drawing I did and a picture of the front of the building.

[QUOTE=Jer;222848]I was bored, so I did some iPhoneCAD of what I’d do with that cool building.... I kinda guessed on scale based on those 3M marks....

Red circles = brewhouse
              Blue = CLT
              Red = HLT
              Green = FV’s

Then you have the entire centre part for taproom, canning line, etc. It’s symmetric, pretty to look at, and functional I think....
              Attached Files

Comment

More than welcome and happy to help!!

Full disclosure - iPhoneCAD is me being a smartass!! I just use the markup feature in photos!! Still works though!! Been really helpful in our planning and communication with our architect, and my partners.

We’re doing something similar with ours - wanting to show off the tanks. I think the best time to make them really pop is after dark with lighting. Yours would look deadly from the beer garden at night.

How strict are the rules there about the public being around the production equipment??

Keep us in the loop. Love seeing projects come together.

Also, I just finished the decision making on our gear. I could help with that too. I’m far from expert, but I learned a lot about negotiating and where one can save A LOT of money.

Merry Christmas!!

JR
                Last edited by Jer; 12-24-2017, 06:32 AM.
                Jeremy Reed

www.no48.ca

Comment

Nice! I have some quotes but nothing set, I'll send you a PM after the holidays. Cheers!

Originally posted by Jer View Post
                  More than welcome and happy to help!!

Full disclosure - iPhoneCAD is me being a smartass!! I just use the markup feature in photos!! Still works though!! Been really helpful in our planning and communication with our architect, and my partners.

We’re doing something similar with ours - wanting to show off the tanks. I think the best time to make them really pop is after dark with lighting. Yours would look deadly from the beer garden at night.

How strict are the rules there about the public being around the production equipment??

Keep us in the loop. Love seeing projects come together.

Also, I just finished the decision making on our gear. I could help with that too. I’m far from expert, but I learned a lot about negotiating and where one can save A LOT of money.

Merry Christmas!!

JR

Comment

Working...
                  X