Mouth Feel Suffering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mouth Feel Suffering

I wanted to post our brewing process and hopefully get some insight on where things maybe going south with body in our higher gravity beers. I think i have a fairly good understanding as to what is going on but im wondering more could i eliminate or change a part of it to impart more mouthfeel to our beers.

Belgian Strong dark ale as an example (but i see it in our porter as well). 15% of the grain bill is flaked oats. No carafoam etc. 2 row as the base

We two step mash, strike temp at 122f, then after 30 mins ramp to 155f then hold for 30 mins (total time mashing is about 1.5 hours). Sparge at 168f.

60 min boil with additions of candi sugars, super moss at 5min, first wort hops then a dash at 0min

Chill and pitch ClarityFirm and BE-256

So im sure im missing some variables, feel free to ask if i did but:

1) Is it my mash temps?
    2) is it my grain bill
    3) is it my hop additions
    4) is it the clarity firm/yeast

Thanks in advance

I would raise your second mash temperature, or considering it is already fairly high, reduce the times, particularly the one at 155. Not sure what happens in the US, but over here (UK / Western Europe) about now, we start to get in new seasons malt, and it is not uncommon to find we have to change the mash temperatures / times slightly due to the changes in barley from season to season, which affects enzymes slightly. You should also be checking your finings regime with the change.
    dick

Comment

I don't believe the 30 minutes at 122f is doing you any good. Also the ramp up to 155 depending on how long it takes to get there could also be an issue.

JackK

Comment

Originally posted by Sauce View Post
        I don't believe the 30 minutes at 122f is doing you any good. Also the ramp up to 155 depending on how long it takes to get there could also be an issue.

JackK
        Ramp up time is about 25-30 mins give or take. appreciate the reply

Comment

Originally posted by dick murton View Post
          I would raise your second mash temperature, or considering it is already fairly high, reduce the times, particularly the one at 155. Not sure what happens in the US, but over here (UK / Western Europe) about now, we start to get in new seasons malt, and it is not uncommon to find we have to change the mash temperatures / times slightly due to the changes in barley from season to season, which affects enzymes slightly. You should also be checking your finings regime with the change.
          seems to be a common theme on mash temp/time.

Comment

The ramp up time is rather slow, so much of the starch conversion is done during the ramp up period. Larger breweries would expect a temperature increase of 1 to 1.5 deg C / minute - 10 to 15 minutes. We used to brew a lager with 5 to 10 minute final stand after the ramp up (varied slightly with the malt), simply because otherwise it over attenuated - with a 1.1 deg C / minute temperature rise rate - so on this basis, you have plenty of scope for reducing your final stand time.
            dick

Comment

Originally posted by Simplegreen View Post
              Ramp up time is about 25-30 mins give or take. appreciate the reply
              This is your problem right here. 90-100% of your conversion is happening during the time the mash is ramping up from 145 or so up to 155, therefore most or all of it is happening well below your target mash temp of 155.

Skip the protein rest and ramp-up and just dough in at 155, I'd bet a week's pay you'll see an immediate improvement in mouthfeel.

Comment

Awesome feedback. The common theme is skipping the rest. We're going to try going right to 155 on our heartier beers and see where it goes. Will update. Thanks to all that replied and PMed

Comment

Originally posted by Simplegreen View Post
                  Chill and pitch ClarityFirm and BE-256
                  Clarity Ferm can have a negative effect on mouth feel if your using higher level doses.
                  What is your current dosing rate?

Comment

Working...
                  X