Double Dry Hop Yeast Harvesting 1318

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Dry Hop Yeast Harvesting 1318

New brewery here, almost open. 4BBL system with 8 & 12BBL FV's. Coming from much smaller scale where yeast cost wasn't much of an issue. Wyeast 1318 is the house strain. Highly flocculant but true top crop yeast, in my experience.

I'm worried about yeast harvesting with heavily dry hopped beers and particularly double dry hopped beers with the first charge at 2-3P before full attenuation. Does anybody have an SOP for harvesting a yeast like this when double dry hopping, i.e. one dry hop during primary? My typical dry hop in primary is relatively small at maybe .35-.5#/bbl. Would I be fine doing the semi chill to ~60F after primary and harvesting yeast with that little bit of hops in it, before the second dry hop? Then dry hop at 60?

I don't see many options. Please help! Thanks!

Some people only do one generation with this yeast for these IPA’s.
    Lots of people top crop this strain before mid ferment dry hop.
    I wouldnt advise harvesting anything for reuse after dry hopping.

Comment

Thanks Junkyard. Any resources you could point me to for top cropping SOP's on a conical fermenter with only a 4" TC dry hop port on top?

Also still open to recommendations on how to make cone harvest work with a double dry hop. Thanks!

Comment

Contrary to conventional wisdom, we've never had issues with either microflora or flavor when re-pitching hoppy yeast.

That said, we usually drop the hops out of the bottom before harvesting. Something a little like this.

Day 3-4 (~3P before terminal): Dryhop
        Day 4-5: Rouse
        Day 5-6: Drop settled hops from bottom and dryhop again.
        Day 6-7: Rouse
        Day 7-8: Drop hops and cold crash the tank
        Day 8-9: Harvest

Comment

@ Fuelforthehate - Wouldn't that be less than ideal only capturing the late flocculators? If not, seems like a viable solution. Using 1318 by chance?

Comment

It is less than ideal, but I've found that even with this regimen we're not dumping that much yeast with our hops. We usually don't push the yeast beyond 4 or 5 generations before re-propagating, though, so I suppose you could run into issues later on down the line.

Comment

Thanks! Are you re-propagating in a conical with some lower gravity wort or using an actual propagator setup?

Comment

Originally posted by TwoTides View Post
                Thanks Junkyard. Any resources you could point me to for top cropping SOP's on a conical fermenter with only a 4" TC dry hop port on top?

Also still open to recommendations on how to make cone harvest work with a double dry hop. Thanks!
                Top cropping through a dry hop port- A large peristaltic pump with a silicone tube and a stainless wand and essentially sterile vacuum the yeast off top. I still havent tested the idea but we just received a masterflex B/T to try it ourselves.

Comment

Thanks Junkyard. That's some serious cheddar that we don't have. There may be some cheaper pumps out there though...

It may be wishful thinking, but I'm hoping I can go through both rounds of dry hops, dropping the hop matter between and after, then cold crashing, then harvesting yeast. Can anyone else confirm this may be possible with a yeast like 1318?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by TwoTides View Post
                    Thanks! Are you re-propagating in a conical with some lower gravity wort or using an actual propagator setup?
                    We propagate in an actual propagator.

Comment

Similar Brewery Concept

We are start-up phase still, but are opening a brewery in GR with 1318 as house-strain, and we focus on NEIPAs for our flagships. March 2019 open date.

FuelForTheHate -- Perhaps you haven't had issues with this because the additional stress on the yeast, post Gen 0, has helped bring out fruity esters from the yeast, which are generally appreciated in the NEIPA styles? Or would you say that most of your NEIPA flavor focus is hop oil? I ferment relatively low (between 65-68 F) so that most flavor comes from hops, not yeast esters. Just a thought.

I have harvested yeast from any of my NEIPA ferms, yet. For brewing 5/10/15/20/30 gallon batches like we are right now, propagation is done relatively cheap. For our 10BBL brewery plans, our Business Plan includes using an actual propagator on-site, and purchasing a liter of slurry from Wyeast and stepping up from that. If you do this method, it is not very expensive on the yeast front.

TwoTides -- We may be doing the same kind of thing here, with a few states between us. We should be friends. We have a ton of R&D done on the NEIPA style, and 1318.

Cheers all.
                      Ryan
                      Viridian Brewing Company
                      [Brewery-In-Planning]

Comment

Originally posted by Viridian View Post
                        FuelForTheHate -- Perhaps you haven't had issues with this because the additional stress on the yeast, post Gen 0, has helped bring out fruity esters from the yeast, which are generally appreciated in the NEIPA styles? Or would you say that most of your NEIPA flavor focus is hop oil? I ferment relatively low (between 65-68 F) so that most flavor comes from hops, not yeast esters. Just a thought.
                        It's entirely plausible that the additional stress causes the yeast to produce more esters, but most of our 1318 beers are whirlpool- and dry-hop heavy. Truth be told, the only difference we've seen between fermenting 1318 NEIPAs at 70F vs 66F is that the 70F fermentations tend to be healthier, faster, and with lower terminal gravities.

Comment

Originally posted by fuelforthehate View Post
                          It's entirely plausible that the additional stress causes the yeast to produce more esters, but most of our 1318 beers are whirlpool- and dry-hop heavy. Truth be told, the only difference we've seen between fermenting 1318 NEIPAs at 70F vs 66F is that the 70F fermentations tend to be healthier, faster, and with lower terminal gravities.
                          I have found by messing with a bunch of hop combinations over the years, that if you ferment hotter the yeast really overpowers the hops with the ester profile. Don't get me wrong, the ester profile is awesome. But I want to taste hops usually, and only have ester a background player. We turn up to 71 F for a day or two for D-rest.
                          Ryan
                          Viridian Brewing Company
                          [Brewery-In-Planning]

Comment

Working...
                          X