Use of Antioxidants in Brewing Process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use of Antioxidants in Brewing Process

Good afternoon everyone. Is anyone here using, or know of the use of antioxidants in finished beer, pre-packaging? For instance, I have been reading on the use of Absorbic Acid with beer and wine, as it scavenges Dissolved Oxygen in packaged beer. Here is why this is crucial for me: I am producing North-East IPAs fermented at lower temperatures so that the volatile hop oils are the flavor focus - along with a bit of sweetness from the malt - so reducing DO as much as possible is crucial for the shelf-life. Now, I'm currently still a Brewery-In-Planning, but ensuring that our product tastes amazing as long as possible is super important, as we are sharing our beer with important people on a daily basis.

My hunch is that some of the big NEIPA producers *may* be using additions of Absorbic Acid or a similar antioxidant to help prolong shelf life. Now, I know that shelf-life of an NEIPA is primarily secured by brewing transferring and packaging in low oxygen. We employ as many low oxygen practices as we can, but I am always looking for another way to improve my product.

I'm thinking of adding it post cold-crash, before carbonating. Or post ferm. Thoughts? Usage info? Does anyone know if TTB has approved the use of this or other antioxidants? I couldn't find any reference to it by searching under 27 CFR Part 25.

Thank you and cheers!!!
    Ryan
    Viridian Brewing Company
    [Brewery-In-Planning]

BSG offers AntiOx-C which has served us pretty well. We typically add to brite during transfer.

Comment

Working...
    X