Pink caustic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pink caustic

Anyone ever drain their equipment (particularly their heat exchanger) of caustic and find the solution to be pink? We are doing more exhaustive cleanings on the heat exchanger and finding the solution to be pink. Cannot explain this, anyone got any ideas? Thanks.

Glycol because of leaking plates??

if not, no idea
    dick

Comment

Originally posted by dick murton View Post
      Glycol because of leaking plates??

if not, no idea
      This is a good suggestion, but our glycol solution is clear. We tried dropping in some of our glycol into our caustic solution, unheated and heated, and no color change. Other solutions (water, acid, sanitizer) doe not turn color when the heat exchanger is cleaned. I've tried reaching out to our chemical supplier but they have not seen this before either. Pretty much at a loss.

Comment

The only other possibility that comes to mind is that you are using non food grade seals (e.g. PHE gaskets or joint seals) or hoses somewhere in your system and the colour is leaching out.
        dick

Comment

Originally posted by mattbk View Post

This is a good suggestion, but our glycol solution is clear. We tried dropping in some of our glycol into our caustic solution, unheated and heated, and no color change. Other solutions (water, acid, sanitizer) doe not turn color when the heat exchanger is cleaned. I've tried reaching out to our chemical supplier but they have not seen this before either. Pretty much at a loss.
          Hi Mattbk, I was wondering if you ever figured out what it was? The last two times I have CIP'd my heat exchanger my caustic has also gone very pink.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
          X