Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HLT/CLT recirculation needed??

Hi all,

Is it important to recirculate the HLT/CLT to ensure no thermal layering develops?? Maybe no constantly, but let’s say a couple hours before one starts a brew day??

Thanks,

-J.
    Jeremy Reed
    Co-Founder and President, assistant brewer, amateur electrician, plumber, welder, refrigeration tech, and intermediately swell fella
    The North of 48 Brewing Company
    Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

www.no48.ca

To some extent it depends on the design of your tanks, but I always tell people to ensure they have recirculation facility on these tanks, or insist that suppliers whose kit I am reviewing put them in. I also prefer to recirculate the hot liquor via the mashing in / sparge connections, having these as Tee offs from the main recirc loop.

Recirc as long as is necessary to ensure consistent temperatures, but not normally during heating or chilling main phases - why waste pump energy?
    dick

Comment

Thanks Dick. I appreciate the help.

-J.
      Jeremy Reed
      Co-Founder and President, assistant brewer, amateur electrician, plumber, welder, refrigeration tech, and intermediately swell fella
      The North of 48 Brewing Company
      Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

www.no48.ca

Comment

Keep an eye on the temperature gauge when recirculating. You should get an idea of how homogeneous the liquid is by whether/how much the temperature changes.

Comment

Working...
        X