Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumbing Heat Exchanger

Hello,

I am currently building a start up 7bbl brewery and have a 2 stage heat exchanger that will be using filtered city water for the 1st stage and filtered water from our CLT for the 2nd stage. We will be recycling the water by allowing the heat exchanger to empty into the 15bbl HLT and I am looking for recommendations for plumbing this in. Are people just running hoses or should it be hard plumbed? Will I need an additional pump to make this happen? Should I be matching the diameter of the inlet and outlet pipes with the size of the heat exchanger inlet and out or would 3/4"-1" copper suffice?

Thank You,
    Sean

For plumbing size, consult your HX manufacturer. Generally, I'd stick to the size of the inlet/outlet.

Hard pipe or hose is your call. A piece of well routed hose--minimum of bends--may have lower restriction than a pipe with several 90s. Whatever you do, remember that the HX will need to be torn down occasionally, so accommodate this with unions/TC fittings.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
      For plumbing size, consult your HX manufacturer. Generally, I'd stick to the size of the inlet/outlet.

Hard pipe or hose is your call. A piece of well routed hose--minimum of bends--may have lower restriction than a pipe with several 90s. Whatever you do, remember that the HX will need to be torn down occasionally, so accommodate this with unions/TC fittings.
      Thanks for the advice!

Cheers,
      Sean

Comment

Working...
      X