Maintaining Orange Oil flavour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maintaining Orange Oil flavour

We brew a Orange Saison in our brewpub and boil orange rind for 15m at the end of the boil AND add vodka'd Orange peel in the BBT, however we are having trouble keeping the flavour in the beer over a 4 week period.

It starts out tasting really good but it would appear that the residual fermentation in the beer whilst in the Serving tanks is kicking all the ornage flavour out and just leaving us with a "saison" over the life of the beer.

I was under the impression that Orange "oil" wouldnt ferment out.

Does anyone have any good ideas as to how to hold the flavour in the beer. Ive experimented with TONS of late hopping w Mandarina as well to no avail.

Any suggestions wiould be appreciated.

Theres a podcast episode with motorworks brewing on the Brewing network’s sunday session from this last summer that went into some good detail of infusing citrus oil in beer. Check it out

Comment

Serving tanks or kegs? If you are using serving tanks, the oil will most definitely volatize into the headspace.

Comment

@jebzter Serving tanks, however our tanks are Muller tanks and have bags inside them (just think of a 500L KeyKeg) so theres no way the Oil can aromatize into the headspace (because there is none)

@Junkyard I will look it up and give it a listen.

At the moment all I can do is overdose the Mandarina Hops as a sub but its not ideal.

Any other ideas would be most welcome

Thanks Lads

Comment

Working...
        X