Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed Wiring PT100 type sensor with STC Controller

Hello guys,

I have question here and any help will be appreciate.

I have a couple of PT100 type temperature sensors, (picture below), it has 4 pins to connect the wires but I dont have a schematic of how to wire it. There is marked ground wire on one pin and the numbers 1, 2,3 on another remain three, but I dont know which one I have to use.

Also I intend to use it with a STC type controller, from what I have searched, most STC`s have temperature sensor input for only two wires and what I have read on specifications it is for NTC type sensor.

My question is, can I use my sensor with a STC controller? How do I wire it?

Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2375.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	195474
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2376.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	195475

If memory serves me correct, the STC-1000 will not accept the RTD type sensors (Pt100, Pt1000). It should tell you the accepted inputs in the PID "manual". I think it only takes a certain type of thermocouple (J, K ect). Don't have my sheet here to look at, but you can probably download one, or it might say on the sticker on top of the controller.

If you want a cheaper PID controller that is compatible, I'd suggest something like the JLD7100 or XMT7100. They were cheaper than a Fuji and so far mine has performed to the same standard, albeit with a slightly smaller display. There are a number of other options as well from places like GolanderUSA.com depending on the parameters you need.

You are likely better off getting a new controller over a different temp probe at the RTDs usually work quite well.

Comment

Originally posted by UnFermentable View Post
      If memory serves me correct, the STC-1000 will not accept the RTD type sensors (Pt100, Pt1000). It should tell you the accepted inputs in the PID "manual". I think it only takes a certain type of thermocouple (J, K ect). Don't have my sheet here to look at, but you can probably download one, or it might say on the sticker on top of the controller.

If you want a cheaper PID controller that is compatible, I'd suggest something like the JLD7100 or XMT7100. They were cheaper than a Fuji and so far mine has performed to the same standard, albeit with a slightly smaller display. There are a number of other options as well from places like GolanderUSA.com depending on the parameters you need.

You are likely better off getting a new controller over a different temp probe at the RTDs usually work quite well.
      Thanks for your response.

Yes, initially I was thinking use a PID controller to control a 24V solenoid valve, however I was afraid about the constant switching on/off for the valve as PID keep sending small pulses of signal to maintain the settled temperature, should I worry about that or it is normal for that type of valve to work like that?

Comment

Originally posted by JulioGDiana View Post
        Yes, initially I was thinking use a PID controller to control a 24V solenoid valve, however I was afraid about the constant switching on/off for the valve as PID keep sending small pulses of signal to maintain the settled temperature, should I worry about that or it is normal for that type of valve to work like that?
        I am guessing this is for cooling jackets on tanks. PID is the industry standard with most using a Love or Fuji controller. I believe the STC is a 110V 10A controller if memory serves correct, and that has some limitations. I personally believe the higher AC voltage and amperage switching burns out faster (less number of switches before burning out), although I have no actual data to correlate that. A 24DC will offer less amperage (and thus heat) going through the controller by way of a solid state relay. Of course there is cost considerations on all of those details, as well as personal preferences. You can buy the controllers in 110V, 240V, 24V, ect. Get the one that matches your desired solenoid/valve (which can also often come in many configurations). Personal fav is a pneumatic valve with PID controller. Less electricity where its wet.

You can control the parameters for the PID so that it does not switch off and on constantly. If you give it a wider range of acceptance, then it will not click off and on with a 0.1 degree differential. That will prolong the life of the controller and probably help prevent over/under shooting of the target temperature. If it is for an electric element, it can be better to keep the parameters closer together to maintain accuracy of the desired temp, but often comes at the expense of the life of the controller.

Comment

Yes, it is to control the temperature on jacket fermenters.
          I dont have the STC and PID yet, just looking with one will better work for me, and I think your advice is right, PID will be a better choice.
          I have the solenoids and the temperature sensors, the solenoids are the 2w-20 type ones with 24V 2A coils, I will start to look for a PID that can send that current without use a SSR, I think they call it PID with relay output.
          Pneumatic of course is a better job, but I got my solenoids as a part of my brewery package, also it is not a big setup, only 5x 4BBL fermenters.

Comment

Thanks for your response.

One of the nice things about a PID is that it doesn't switch on/off frequently--that's where the hysteresis and fuzzy logic come in.
            Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
            Terminal Gravity Brewing,
            Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

which pins of my sensor should I use?

PID need 3 but I have 4.

Comment

which pins of my sensor should I use?

PID need 3 but I have 4.
                RTD (Resistance Temperature Detectors) have 2, 3, or 4 lead configurations.  Let us study the difference between 2 wire RTD, 3 wire RTD, and 4 wire RTD's.

In the link above it explains how you can connect a 4 wire RTD to a 3 or even 2 wire configuration. You loose the benefit of a 4 wire design, but should work just fine for your purposes as a 3 wire.

Comment

Great, thanks for the link, very good information.

Comment

Working...
                  X