Cider making tips and advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cider making tips and advice

I could not find a cider specific thread so I'm posting here.

We acquired 200 gallons of apple cider we'd like to make into hard cider. Does anyone have advice for yeast strains, pitch rate and other information to help us be successful? Thanks!

Originally posted by Brewfist View Post
    I could not find a cider specific thread so I'm posting here.

We acquired 200 gallons of apple cider we'd like to make into hard cider. Does anyone have advice for yeast strains, pitch rate and other information to help us be successful? Thanks!
    Not sure if this is too late but I have a few suggestions. You would generally want to have a starting pH of 3.5 in the juice. If you’re higher, adjust with malic acid. Next you would probably want to add approximately 50 ppm SO2 to clean things up. A while after that addition you can add some pectic enzyme to drop pectin out. This generally takes 2-3 days. Then rack off sediment into fermentation tank. As for yeast, there’s many ways to go. Champagne, white wine, ale. A good place to start could be DV10 or W15. Those work well with cider. Ferment in the midn50s to low 60s. Add yeast nutrients at the first sign of fermentation and also about half way thru. Hope this helps!

Comment

Do you have a license?

Make sure that you are allowed to ferment a cider in your facility. Must have a winemaker's license as opposed to/in addition to a brewery.
      Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Working...
      X