Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floor plan critique please

Folks

Wondering if any of you out there would be so kind as to take a look at my proposed floor plan for a space I'm looking at moving in to. This is on the first floor of an old textile mill which is being renovated by a new owner. Both the building owner and the town I'm in are advertising for a brewery to move in, both to the town in general and this place specifically.

The landlord is going to white box the premises, including installation of the bathrooms, HVAC etc and getting the building signed off per code. My parts will be the actual brewing and tap room parts.

So far I have a good sized cold room, 3bbl 3-vessel brewhouse with 2x 3bbl tanks and 2x 7bbl tanks, a small office space, space for additional tanks, and plenty of room for storing pallets of kegs, grain etc. The existing vault marked on the plan is about 50sqft and is part of the original building, back when everyone got paid cash at the end of the week. Plan is to use it for long term aging of stuff, either bottles or a couple of barrels would fit nicely too.

It's planned out so that a single person working at the bar should be able to see pretty much everything. I believe that I have the necessary separation of the production area from the tap room. Initial plans are to serve from kegs in the walk in (tax determined area not yet marked) and hopefully switch up to serving tanks as cash-flow allows. Plans are for 95% of the sales through the taproom, with the occasional sixtel or half barrel out to a local tap or two to generate interest.

Anyways, floor plan as follows:

Originally posted by PSkelton View Post
    Folks

Wondering if any of you out there would be so kind as to take a look at my proposed floor plan for a space I'm looking at moving in to. This is on the first floor of an old textile mill which is being renovated by a new owner. Both the building owner and the town I'm in are advertising for a brewery to move in, both to the town in general and this place specifically.

The landlord is going to white box the premises, including installation of the bathrooms, HVAC etc and getting the building signed off per code. My parts will be the actual brewing and tap room parts.

So far I have a good sized cold room, 3bbl 3-vessel brewhouse with 2x 3bbl tanks and 2x 7bbl tanks, a small office space, space for additional tanks, and plenty of room for storing pallets of kegs, grain etc. The existing vault marked on the plan is about 50sqft and is part of the original building, back when everyone got paid cash at the end of the week. Plan is to use it for long term aging of stuff, either bottles or a couple of barrels would fit nicely too.

It's planned out so that a single person working at the bar should be able to see pretty much everything. I believe that I have the necessary separation of the production area from the tap room. Initial plans are to serve from kegs in the walk in (tax determined area not yet marked) and hopefully switch up to serving tanks as cash-flow allows. Plans are for 95% of the sales through the taproom, with the occasional sixtel or half barrel out to a local tap or two to generate interest.

Anyways, floor plan as follows:

How will you raise raw materials and waste etc from the first floor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is the American first floor which is the ground floor in old money. The roll up door goes out to a smooth concrete pathway which leads around to the unloading dock.

Comment

So you are going to walk through the bar area every time you want to do some lab analysis / make a phone call / record / research some info ?

Where is your packaging facility? Filtration?

You would do better to have a chilled liquor tank as well

How are you going to vent the wort kettle and MT?

A 450 pound CO2 tank seems incredibly big, even assuming you are using it for dispense
        dick

Comment

I'm trying to take another look at relocating the office area, the challenge is putting it somewhere easy to get to but which doesn't block line of site from the bar to patrons or block the windows. Equally there are more than a few local brew pubs who don't have a dedicated office space at all, so whilst it'll definitely be a convenience its not absolutely necessary.

The kettle will use a condenser stack for steam venting. Electrical system so no issues with combustion ventilation or makeup air.

I'm planning on putting a chilled liquor tank in, it will probably wind up in the bottom right corner, still shuffling the tanks on the diagram to see what makes sense.

The CO2 tank is based on a combination of a volume recommendation and supplier recommendation from another local microbrewery. They have the same size tank and go through about 300lb a month, using a 3bbl system, four 7bbl unitanks and serving everything from kegs.

The plan is to serve 95%+ of everything over the bar, packaging into anything but kegs will be exceptionally limited and will be served using small fillers on rolling tables as the need arises. No plans for filtration, I've yet to come across a microbrewery in the area who filter, they either serve slightly hazy beer or they use an English yeast and fine judiciously in the tank

Comment

My first thought is you need a larger brewhouse. 7BBL to 10BBL to allow for growth and to control labor. It takes just as long to brew 10BBL as it does 3BBL, plus you lose several hours of cleaning. If you added in the dimensions it would be easier to evaluate what can fit into the space, including ceiling height.. The 3bbl plus hlt will be about 12', a 10bbl combi system with hlt under the mash lauter is also about 12'.

What is the heat source?
            Where will the mill be located along with grain storage.
            Keg washer
            Flue for the kettle/whirlpool

Just some food for thought.

Comment

Working...
            X