Low Flocculant English Yeast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Flocculant English Yeast

I may be stretching too far here, but I am looking for a low or medium flocculant English yeast strand for an NEIPA, and high attenuation. We have the recipe nailed down and is wonderful at first and cloudy, but after a week or two of cellaring, it drops clear. Currently using S04, which is obviously highly flocculant.

My concern is not only kegging and getting to accounts that it clears, but I can't start canning this beer if it's going to be doing this.

Any help you could offer would be great.

I prefer dry yeast (and cheap yeast), but I like the flavor profile I get from S04.

London Ale III finished too sweet for liquid.

Hi, we use london 3 for our bitter and it finishes fairly dry 1.040 -> 1.009. The degree of attenuation is determined in the brewhouse, not by the yeast. If london 3 finishes too sweet, change your malt bill or mashing regime.

When you rely on the yeast to create the haze you will never get good hazy stability. The hazyness in NEIPAs is achieved by protein polephenol complexes coming from the malt and the hops. These complexes will settle out eventually just as the yeast but it takes much longer.

I would stick with london 3, throw some oats and wheat in and change the mashing regime.

Matthias

Comment

Thanks for the response. Several batches I made with that strand finished at 1.014 (I like mine 1.010 or 1.009 like yours did). I have wheat and oats in the malt bill, and dry hop at first sign of fermentation to get max poly. Something for me to chew on.. A few other brewery friends of mine had the same thing happen, so maybe you're right....it's just going to happen as it sits still.

Comment

Working...
      X