help for new brewery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help for new brewery

looking for help to navigate the initial ttb process for approval for a new brewery. How is this done and what do info do I need to minimally give them to approve my beer?

Also, we plan on brewing gruit as some of our beers. I recall reading something about needing fda approval for beer without hops. How is this done?

Here is a very helpful link, and a great place to start. When it comes to the TTB there is no minimum on what they need. They are very clear on exactly what is needed to get your permits and what brews and labels need to be submitted for approval. Are you planning on selling out of state? The TTB will not approve a Gruit for a brewery. But if it is not going out of state you may not need their approval.

Here are links to guides and information that you will need to start a brewery.
    Joel Halbleib
    Partner / Zymurgist
    Hive and Barrel Meadery
    6302 Old La Grange Rd
    Crestwood, KY
    www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

re: BrewinLou

but is the ttb the only government agency that is able to approve the production of alcoholic beverages by a brewery? I can't find it now but I recall reading something about fda approval for beer without hops. How would I go about getting that if possible?

Comment

Originally posted by LaserKyle View Post
        but is the ttb the only government agency that is able to approve the production of alcoholic beverages by a brewery? I can't find it now but I recall reading something about fda approval for beer without hops. How would I go about getting that if possible?
        LaserKyle,
        I would start by calling the TTB directly as well as your state's alcohol control board. Most states (and the Feds, I believe) have a very distinct definition of "beer": fermentated beverage made with cereal grains, water, hops, and yeast. One must use a certain minimum ratio of hops per gallon to be considered beer. I know in Montana, I am not allowed to brew gruit, cider, mead, etc. as I have a "Brewers License" that allows for the manufacture of only "beer".
        You will need approval from the TTB and from your state prior to producing and selling beers.

Prost!
        Dave
        Glacier Brewing Company
        406-883-2595
        info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Working...
        X