Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cpelz View Post
    Hey UnFermentable-

Was your stack fan an after-market addition or part of your kit? Where does it sit in the stack, in-line or at the terminus? I supect these might be common, but I'm not familiar with them.
    Ours is on the rooftop. It was sourced separately. I can look and see if there is a brand on it the next time I am up there.

On a side note, I was looking back through my Kunze book and it says 4% evaporation should be sufficient in modern times. Apparently the higher figures were for when the kettles used to not get as hot and would take much longer for good protein coagulation (hot break). Obviously it is still important to avoid boil-overs though.

Comment

Thanks UnFermentable. I'll look into stack fans. Funny regarding Kunze, I've poured over him several times and see where he says 10-15% was the former standard. He then says "This meanwhile has changed, as will be seen later." I've never found where he mentions it again (other than his discussion of internal boilers where he calls 4-6% conventional.) Maybe my 2nd edition is showing it's age.
      Clarke Pelz
      Cynosure Brewing

Comment

Originally posted by cpelz View Post
        Thanks UnFermentable. I'll look into stack fans. Funny regarding Kunze, I've poured over him several times and see where he says 10-15% was the former standard. He then says "This meanwhile has changed, as will be seen later." I've never found where he mentions it again (other than his discussion of internal boilers where he calls 4-6% conventional.) Maybe my 2nd edition is showing it's age.
        And here I was thinking my 4th International Edition was getting old.... I found it on page 326, 3.4.1.3 Evaporation of Water. Next to TBI information. It was mentioned again a few sections later in the internal/external boilers section, as you mention. I still personally aim for 6% per hour; 9-10% over 90 mins, although reading over perhaps I should skip the 90's in favor of some other methods. Tomorrow I'll try to remember to head up to the roof and see if I can get a brand off my stack fan for anyone interested.

Comment

Thanks UnFermentable...no mention of TBI in edition 2 either. Might be time for an upgrade.
          Clarke Pelz
          Cynosure Brewing

Comment

My stackfan is made by Greenheck (USA) and is a model number CUBE-098-4-X. Works great for our 7bbl JVNW kettle.

Comment

Thanks for the known good model, that gives us a good starting point if we decide we need the extra draft.
              Clarke Pelz
              Cynosure Brewing

Comment

Working...
              X