Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rural Brewery Wastewater

Hello,
    I would like to start a small microbrewery in my barn.
    It has a floor drain and a seperate septic system.
    Municipal sewer is not available in my area.
    I will do my best to limit my discharge by composting, etc.
    Please offer any comments on this.

Will I need some kind of expensive treatment plant?

Will regular pumping of the septic tank be enough?

I know I will have to approach the local health department eventually but I would like to gain as much knowledge as I can before that.

Thanks in Advance.
    Andy Bishop
    Hope BC
    Canada

Chemical waste

Your biggest problem will be your cleaning chemicals. You should call a company like five star or loeffler to ask them about discharging chemicals into your septic. These aren't your average cleaners! I don't see a problem other than that. You can get rid of grain pretty easy out in the country and as long as you have a good boiler for heating up your water, you should be good to go. (Might want to have your water tested to see if you need to add anything to it!)

Comment

Rural Wastewater

I have a barn that I am starting a brewery in and we have a DEP approved 3000 gallon poly tank that will be used to store our chemical waste. This tank is going to be pumped by a local treatment facility at $0.15/gallon. The heat exchanger water waste will be pumped directly back into the hot liquor tank and re-used. In Lancaster County Pennsylvania, a business can not use a home septic sewer as means for waste disposal. You may want to contact the proper authorities about using a septic system for industrial waste.

Cheers!
      Matthew Keasey
      President/Head Brewer
      Spring House Brewing Co.

Comment

Thanks for the Advice

Gentlemen,
        Thank you for your replies.
        I have had my water tested as I am on a 150 foot well.
        The water in the area is excellent. As a matter of fact Nestle has a large water bottling plant in the area.
        I am familiar with Five Star and they claim there products are "septic safe".
        My barn septic is a different from my house septic.
        Thank you for your replies.
        I hope there will be more.
        Thanks
        Andy

Comment

Working...
        X