Possible perecetic in beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible perecetic in beer

Hello all, I brewed a batch recently and cannot for the life of me remember if I completely drained the fermenter of PAA prior to transferring the wort. This happened because I recirc PAA over the fermenter, lid and valves, then drain through the pump and remove the last bit of solution through the beer out valve. Any remaining solution can't have been more than a small puddle.

I've analyzed the beer which is currently dry hopping and gravity, pH, colour etc all match with targets, plus there is no acetic taste or smell. Annoyingly it's a new beer so I don't have a taste reference, but there is an apparent dryness - Maris otter, caramalt and us-05, 3.5% abv. Other than that it's beautiful.

Just looking for any advice on what I should look for if this is a duff batch.

Never brew when you're unwell, you make stupid mistakes and your brain doesn't work!

peracetic acid degrades into the following: H2O, O2, and CO2. This is another reason why peracetic is great, it dissapears into things that aren't a problem.

Comment

I'm with jebzter. Unless the dryness is gonna affect sales, if it tastes good, go ahead and sell it. You're not gonna harm anyone with such a small amount of sanitizer, esp. PAA.

Comment

Great. Nice when you get the response you want to hear! Haha. Thanks all.

Comment

Jebzter made the key point here, but the topic got me thinking.

I use PAA test strips from LaMotte to check my soak buckets, SIP solution, spray bottles, ect. The scale ranges in ppm 0, 10, 20, 50, 85, 160. So today I tested if it would still register in wort as opposed to regular water/PAA solution. Strips still worked (at least as close as I can tell to accurately). So if you have concerns in the future, you could always test a sample of the wort with a PAA test strip. You may still have some present, but at least you will know its below 10 ppm, and as stated breaks down to H2O, O2, and CO2. Prior to/during fermentation the O2 is not an issue, so the only place of major concern would be packaging or BBT transfers.

Comment

Working...
          X