Anyone out there use gw kent temp controllers? Wiring question, please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone out there use gw kent temp controllers? Wiring question, please help

Trying to set up my chilling system for unitank. Have a gw kent temp controller and am confused as to how to wire it to the solenoid/power. The controller has 6 wires coming out of it. Has anyone set one of these controllers up before that can help me figure this out? Thanks

Originally posted by Beardown View Post
    Trying to set up my chilling system for unitank. Have a gw kent temp controller and am confused as to how to wire it to the solenoid/power. The controller has 6 wires coming out of it. Has anyone set one of these controllers up before that can help me figure this out? Thanks
    Is it the round ones that hang off of your fermenter with a hook?

If so, you will need a power supply, relay, water proof junction box and a few other items.
    Todd G Hicks
    BeerDenizen Brewing Services

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Controller1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	191631Click image for larger version

Name:	Controller2.jpg
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	191632Click image for larger version

Name:	Controller3.jpg
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	191633
      Todd G Hicks

Comment

Yes that is the one. Is the controller directly wired to the solenoid? Or just the power? And what kind of junction box? Thanks again

Comment

If I remember right those are 24v DC? I called Kent and they put me on the phone with an engineer that walked me through DC wiring. It was not hard, just definitely not like AC.
          Joel Halbleib
          Partner / Zymurgist
          Hive and Barrel Meadery
          6302 Old La Grange Rd
          Crestwood, KY
          www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Yea I noticed that a lot of folks that purchased that controller also got this
            Power supply with flexible input voltage (90 - 130 V. AC) with 24 V. DC outputs. Power supply is rated to run at 80% continuous wattage.

Just confused how it all connects to the solenoid and power. I guess ill get on with an engineer. Anyone have a "map" of this setup? Thanks again

Comment

It is really simple.

1. You need a power supply. The one in the pic will run 2 tanks. This one is from AutomationDirect 110vac - 24vdc I will post me parts list soon
              2. 24vdc relay.
              3. 24vdc solenoid
              4. pancake controller (the GWK thing)
              5. cheap 16 ga extension cord
              6. Junction box to hold x number of power supplies, small junction box to house relay and sensor into tank thermowell. If I built this again, I would probably use a larger box to house everything into one single junction box at each tank. More expensive on power supplies, but these controllers are meant to be individual tank controllers.
              7. misc plastic conduit fittings as needed

The controller is powered by the DC supply. The DC supply will also provide current to the solenoid. The controller will fire the relay which will switch the solenoid through the relay.

I will have more later. I think I have one of these partially assembles in a junk box somewhere that I take a pic of.
              I will also find the automationdirect parts list.

If there is anyone on here from Tin Roof, they could probably pop the cover off of a tank and take a pic.
              Todd G Hicks

Comment

Awesome thanks! Would def appreciate that list! Thanks again

Comment

From AutomationDirect.com

SQM08D RELAY SOCKET, FOR QM2 SERIES CUBE RELAYS WITH SQUARE BASE 3.25

QM2N1-D24 CUBE RELAY, 24VDC COIL, 2PDT, 5A, LED INDICATOR 4.75

PSB24-060-P POWER SUPPLY, 24VDC, 60W, DIN-RAIL, PLASTIC CASE 27.75

HW-N4X532 JUNCTION 4SCREWS OPQ CVR 4X-6P 5X3X2IN 24.25

I put the relay and temp probe into the 5x3x3 Junction box and attached it directly to the tank with conduit fittings and 1/2" npt stainless short nipple. wires with 1/2" romex conduit fittings

HW-60604CHSC Hubbell-Wiegmann Premier series enclosure, NEMA 1/3/3S/4X/12/13, 6 x 6 x 4in 58.00

I think this may be the enclosure that I put the power supply in. It will fit two power supplies. Each power supply can power two controllers and its solenoids. So for cooling, you can get 4 tank controls off of each control box.

If I were to build these again, I would probably get an enclosure that would fit both the power supply and relay in the same box and mount it at the temp probe port. Would save a little money and basically make each tank controller independent. from all other tanks. Just make sure you have enough 120vac outlets to plug in to.
                  Todd G Hicks

Comment

Perfect thanks again!

Comment

Another quick question for ya about this... Do you use a normally closed solenoid into the ferm and then a normally open sol somewhere at the end of the loop prior to the return? My system builder recommends this type of setup.

Comment

Use normally closed solenoids with a ball valve on both sides of the solenoid valve to isolate them for cleaning or to throttle back the flow if necessary.

On the end of the loop, do not use a solenoid valve. Add in a pressure relief valve, pressure gauge, and a few ball valves to isolate the circuit for maintenance.

Here are the parts from McMaster-Carr

Line Product Ordered Ships Price Total
                        1 9763K12 Adjustable Pressure-Relief Valve for Water, 3/4 NPT, 0 to 50 PSI Set Pressure Range 1
                        each today
                        each 60.96
                        2 4240K6 Colored-Case Gauge, Blue Polyester Case, 1/4 NPT Male Bottom, 60 PSI 1
                        each today
                        (from our Chicago warehouse)
                        each 84.17
                        3 4429K229 Low-Pressure Brass Threaded Pipe Fitting, Inline Tee Reducer, 3/4 x 1/4 NPT Female 1
                        each today
                        each 14.27
                        4 4429K423 Low-Pressure Brass Threaded Pipe Fitting, Bushing Adapter with Hex Body, 3/4 Male x 1/4 Female NPT 1
                        each today
                        each 4.77

Notes
                        See www.mcmaster.com/tax for important information regarding the sales or use tax you may owe directly to your state.

Merchandise $164.17

PVC parts from local supply house.

Here are some pics of fermenter connections in PEX, main trunkline in 2" pre-insulated PVC build out for future tanks (with two ways to install the shutoff valves, and the return loop assembly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0101.jpg
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	191640Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0102.jpg
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	191641Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0103.jpg
Size:	86.8 KB