Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CO2 Usage and Cost

Hi guys,

Can anyone with an established brewery give an estimate of their monthly usage and cost for CO2 for a 5 BBL brewhouse or a 10 BBL brewhouse? Assuming they are brewing once or twice a week. What is the size of your bright tanks? (If you have a bigger system that's fine, I can always extrapolate if I know how often you are brewing)

Also, what size CO2 tank are you using? How much does it cost to refill the CO2 tanks? Is it compressed air or liquid CO2? Did you buy the tank outright or are you leasing?

Thank you so much everyone!

Any takers on this one?
    Anyone has any advice on their CO2 usage?

Originally posted by tirouj View Post
    Hi guys,

Can anyone with an established brewery give an estimate of their monthly usage and cost for CO2 for a 5 BBL brewhouse or a 10 BBL brewhouse? Assuming they are brewing once or twice a week. What is the size of your bright tanks? (If you have a bigger system that's fine, I can always extrapolate if I know how often you are brewing)

Also, what size CO2 tank are you using? How much does it cost to refill the CO2 tanks? Is it compressed air or liquid CO2? Did you buy the tank outright or are you leasing?

Thank you so much everyone!

Comment

Your CO2 suppliers should be able to give you rough estimates based on your size. Make sure you contact all of them in your area, as contract terms can vary widely and end up saving (or costing) you thousands in the long run.
      Peter Landman | Brewmaster | Seabright Brewery | Santa Cruz, CA

Comment

xFutballFank

I did get some numbers from local distributors but I was trying to get a gauge of how much established breweries actually use on a monthly basis; per batch, style, etc.

I get that you can buy or lease the tank, you pay for the refill on a set schedule or as needed, but I was looking for hard operating usage numbers.

Originally posted by xFutballFanx View Post
        Your CO2 suppliers should be able to give you rough estimates based on your size. Make sure you contact all of them in your area, as contract terms can vary widely and end up saving (or costing) you thousands in the long run.

Comment

Our pub in Bangalore uses about 8 - 30 kg cylinders every two to three weeks. 7 bbl brewhouse with 6 - 7 bbl bright tanks. We spund and carbonation is primarily achieved through this but occasionally we add gas in the BBT. Brew about 2-3 times a week. We use one cylinder a month to power beer serving pumps to a second restaurant upstairs. Generally transfer into BBT 2-3 times a week with a full breakdown between tanks most of the time. Bulk co2 is available here, but not much cost savings and we are located on the third floor, so logistics are easier this way. Could probably use less if I had a DO meter to measure purges, but we like to stay on the safe side. Average sales are about 1.75-2 bbl a day, weekends higher. So total use is about 400-500kg a month on average. Production about 75 bbl a month on average.

Compressed air would be an improper term. Compressed gas is what you mean. Ours is gas not liquid.

Comment

UnFermentable,
            Thank you. You locations in TX and India...? Very cool

Originally posted by UnFermentable View Post
            Our pub in Bangalore uses about 8 - 30 kg cylinders every two to three weeks. 7 bbl brewhouse with 6 - 7 bbl bright tanks. We spund and carbonation is primarily achieved through this but occasionally we add gas in the BBT. Brew about 2-3 times a week. We use one cylinder a month to power beer serving pumps to a second restaurant upstairs. Generally transfer into BBT 2-3 times a week with a full breakdown between tanks most of the time. Bulk co2 is available here, but not much cost savings and we are located on the third floor, so logistics are easier this way. Could probably use less if I had a DO meter to measure purges, but we like to stay on the safe side. Average sales are about 1.75-2 bbl a day, weekends higher. So total use is about 400-500kg a month on average. Production about 75 bbl a month on average.

Compressed air would be an improper term. Compressed gas is what you mean. Ours is gas not liquid.

Comment

Working...
            X