Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can filling help!

Hi all!

So I am looking to can my beer and I have a seamer picked out ready to order. The problem is I need to get the beer into the cans efficiently and cheap. We currently are brewing on a super small scale (1 bbl), but we are getting a nice sized system in the fall. I honestly was thinking about getting 2 blichmann beer guns for the time being and just doing it that way with a couple people.

Thoughts?

Cheers!

It's doable but your arms/hands are gonna be sore with the beer guns. The rubber tips are annoying too; they constantly break off and can end up in one of your cans

Comment

You will likely have some oxygen issues, keep it fresh and cold if you choose to do it this way.

Comment

Originally posted by jebzter View Post
        You will likely have some oxygen issues, keep it fresh and cold if you choose to do it this way.
        Yeah that’s my worry with the beer gun. We will be selling this super fresh also

Comment

We bottle all of our small system beer using counter-pressure hand fillers. From a quantity perspective it's doable but it does consume lots of time (ie. one person can fill 1Bbl worth of bottles in about 8 hours with one filler). With cans you will have to use the blichman beer gun as you suggested (not counter pressure) and because of shape and large opening I'd give it a much longer CO2 purge. It takes time but it's doable.

We don't usually bottle off a full Bbl, we keep a bit for the tap wall and the rest is a mix of growlers and bottles (all by hand). Most of our beer comes off our production system and is filled on a semi-auto line.

Comment

We're looking to do the same thing. I'd like to modify my CP bottle filler setup to open fill cans. We use the morebeer CP fillers mounted on hinges, two fillers at a time. You can turn the valve one way to purge with CO2 then the other way to fill with beer. A more ergonomic option than the beer gun I think.

Problem I'm running into is restricting the flow from the brite tank to the can so that it doesn't foam too much. I know a little bit of foam is desirable, but trying to minimize. Anyone have any ideas? I'm running about 10ft of 3/16" hose from the bright tank sample valve to the CP fillers.

Comment

Working...
            X