Disposable kegs? Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thrasius View Post
    Sorry to revive a very old thread. Though I haven't seen any further discussion on the forums of EVkegs. If you use them, what do you think of them? I'm going to be a one man taproom focused nano in a bustling downtown area. It's very attractive from a labor standpoint. I'll mostly serve from brites but I'll keg off the last bits of tanks. Also, I'll keg experimental and seasonal beers. I really don't want to waste my oh so precious time washing kegs. It's also better from an environmental perspective, which I like a lot.
    They look cool, but when I tried to order one, it doesn't appear they're actually selling them yet. The site says the 1/6 version will be available March 2016.

Regards,
    Mike

Comment

Sorry to revive a very old thread. Though I haven't seen any further discussion on the forums of EVkegs. If you use them, what do you think of them? I'm going to be a one man taproom focused nano in a bustling downtown area. It's very attractive from a labor standpoint. I'll mostly serve from brites but I'll keg off the last bits of tanks. Also, I'll keg experimental and seasonal beers. I really don't want to waste my oh so precious time washing kegs. It's also better from an environmental perspective, which I like a lot.
      Looks to be a nice alternative to keykeg which uses a standard American Sanke D fitting?

Comment

Interesting, this thread mentioned the EVKegs as far back as 2012. Seems like they have been working on them a while. I did contact the company. They have prototypes available right now for pretty cheap to test out. Full availability is next month. I may go ahead and purchase one. If I do, I'll report back to this thread.

Comment

Any news on disposable kegs?

Anyone have any news on disposable kegs? Are EVKegs available now? How are petainers compared to ecokeg? I just got a quote for KeyKegs but at over 10 euros a pop I don't feel they are viable. Would love to hear what you guys are using and which is the most economical alternative that works.
          Last edited by dfalken; 05-01-2016, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Hey, the brewery I work for uses slimline keykegs which are amazing and great for long distances but are a bit expensive for growlers/in house sales. Depending where you want to be selling your kegs you could try Dolium kegs from Belgium. Ive heard mixed reviews and they need co2 but I think they are cheaper. The other option is ecokegs - which I also have not used. Could be worth a shot.

Comment

EV Kegs

Interesting, this thread mentioned the EVKegs as far back as 2012. Seems like they have been working on them a while. I did contact the company. They have prototypes available right now for pretty cheap to test out. Full availability is next month. I may go ahead and purchase one. If I do, I'll report back to this thread.
              We are a nano brewery (30 gallon breweasy + 200 gallons fermentation). Doghausbrewery.com. Currently we are using 1/2 and 1/4 barrel kegs from SABCO with the 4" port for manual cleaning. Those kegs are expensive. More than twice as expensive as a normal keg. https://www.brewmagic.com/products/select-sankey-keg/ But they have the added advantage of a port for a carb wand.

Cleaning those kegs takes about 10 minutes each and consumes/wastes lots of water, cleaner and sanitizer. Plus, we worry about the 4" opening being a source of contamination after cleaning but before refilling.

i came across the EV Container site and have received some info. Only 1/6 barrel sizes currently, although 1/2 barrel is forecast for 2017. I can live with the smaller size. the liners, purchased in bulk, are under $4 each. I think labor/water'cleaner costs more then $4 for each cleaned keg. Of course the spear still need to be cleaned each time.

all in all, for a small brewery that self distributes and does not own a pro level keg cleaner, this seems like a no brainer. ANybody out there with a similar or contrary view?

steve

Comment

We use one-way disposable kegs for our over-seas sales only.

We started a few years ago with Petainer kegs. PITA--not CO2 pre-purged, won't stand up by themselves, unbelievably flimsy valves, no way to lift the bare keg when it's empty without a special tool. Maybe they've changed, but, looking at the site, I don't think so.

We now use the Pubkeg http://www.rehrigpacific.com/product...y-chain/pubkeg . Much happier--none of the problems above.

One-way kegs are really only practical when shipping the empties back is prohibitive.
                Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
                Terminal Gravity Brewing,
                Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Petainer Kegs

I bought a pallet of 20L petainer kegs this past winter, thinking I'd try them for kegs to go sales. I figured the higher price per pint and time savings cleaning kegs would make it worth while. I haven't sold many, but have had enough problems that made me wonder if I want to continue selling them. One keg failed - the valve spring fell off inside the keg when the customer tried to tap the keg. In another case, the customer was using a cheap home kegerator style coupler and it wouldn't tap the keg. Not enough clearance between the probe seal and the tip of the probe to open the valve.
                  Last edited by VashonBrewer; 03-19-2017, 04:55 PM. Reason: corrected size of keg

Comment

I know this thread is a couple years old, but I want open it again. I'll soon be opening a small 5bbl brewery with capacity for 20bbl of fermentation. Everything will be kegged and we will can after a few months. The brewery is located at a winery which is not on city sewer. So, wastewater is a real problem for us. We had to get a pump and haul permit. So all wastewater is collected settled and hauled by us or a septic company to a licensed wastewater treatment plant. Washing kegs uses a LOT of water and we just don't have the capacity for that much wastewater. So, I'm going to use stainless kegs for everything sold at the winery and one-way kegs for everything else and I will have outside accounts.

I've looked at EVKegs and I bought one. I really like the concept but the price is very expensive...as much as stainless for the outer keg. Pubkegs seem like a great idea and I can pick them up in GA. Unikegs are definitely the least expensive but I've not tried one.

I just wonder if anyone here has tried any of these and want to know if customers were OK with them.

Comment

I'm also looking at disposable kegs for distribution and am leaning toward the PetainerKeg "Hybrid 20L" kegs. I was quoted $16/keg and they come nitrogen purged, so no need to sanitize, purge or track them. They do have maximum shelf lives to consider, though. Unfilled is 9 months and 12 months filled. I just received a sample and haven't tested it yet, so no direct feedback at this point.

Comment

I just got a reply from the sales department that Pubkegs are no longer being manufactured. So, it looks like I'll be using one of the other brands of one-way kegs.

Comment

Working...
                        X