Anton Paar DMA 35 users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anton Paar DMA 35 users

Hey all DMA 35 users. Do you have to filter your wort and fermenting beer samples before pumping them into the measuring cell, or are there not enough bits in solution to throw off the measurement?

Thanks,

Rich DeLano
    rich@thebrewinglair.com

Hello Rich,

Whenever I pull samples to test final gravity using our DMA 35, it is post centrifuge so no real chunks to worry about.
    However, when using the DMA for fermenter samples we usually pull from a sample port, collect a decent size sample, then let the solids kind of collect at the bottom before a reading. i'm sure that there are a bit of small solids still suspended in the fermenter samples and its never usually a problem for the DMA because there's no visible chunks being pulled into the tube.
    Just make sure to give it a good rinse and cleaning after every sample.

Regards,
    Chris

Comment

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. What about wort samples? Do think as DMA 35 is a worthy investment? I am really the only person reading hydrometers at our brewery. If the unit does not save much time due to having to filter or let samples settle before taking readings, then I'm not sure its what I want.

Comment

It's always good laboratory practice to filter/degas samples before analysing. Filtration doesn't have to be microfine, just enough to remove any visible solids. Similarly with degassing, to be sure there is no breakout in the u-tube during measurement.

As Fox Valley said, flush through well with water afterwards to remove sample and any particulates, etc.

Something that is important is not to analyse hot wort samples as the break material is a nightmare to remove from the u-tube if it sticks!

These all apply to any density meter - Anton Paar, Mettler, etc. - as u-tube cleanliness is the most important factor in accurate measurements.

Comment

Working...
        X