What do pro brewers read/study?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do pro brewers read/study?

Looking to start shopping my resume around this fall for an assistant brewer position. I can't afford to go to school yet but I though I could try and catch up on some reading, since I already read everything related to brewing I can get my hands on.

So what is it that pro brewers read, or study in school, or use as reference material? I'm guessing if your pub owner asks for a Kolsch recipe you don't reach for "Designing Great Beers", and "Brew Chem 101" is far too simplistic even for someone on my level.

Darel

The Practical Brewer, by MBAA; Malting and Brewing Science, by Briggs, Hough, Stevens, Young; and Textbook of Brewing, by Jean DeClerck. These are great starters. Read them fully and you're well on the way!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Thanks a lot!

Comment

One more question - there are several "the Practical Brewers" each listing a different author - though I did find the MBAA one. Is this all the same book with collaborative authours or are they actually diffrerent books?
        Thansk,
        Darel

Comment

Brewing Books

The MBAA (as discussed by another Forum member) and ASBC should be looked at and IDB (formerly IGB) and also look at Siebel, UC Davis, Heriot Watt University etc., websites and programs and see what books they are recommending currently for their courses. These Institutions and some others are at the cutting edge of training so you cannot do better than looking at what they recommend.

Comment

Should you be interested in the German perspective, Kunze and Narziss are available in English, as well as the weekly publication Brauwelt.

Comment

check out this list at BA's website

recommended
              reading

Comment

Originally posted by crassbrauer
                Should you be interested in the German perspective, Kunze and Narziss are available in English, as well as the weekly publication Brauwelt.
                I wasn't aware that the Narziss is available in English. Do you happen to have any information as to where I might buy it (or English title so I can google it more effectively)? Thanks very much.

Paul Philippon
                The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery
                Farmville NC

Comment

Narziss

Odd. I heard from a reliable source that his book was to be published in English. This was some time ago. (I haven't checked into it because I have his books in German.) Maybe it hasn't appeared yet. In case you want it, here's the info for this book in German, which might help you find it in English when/if it's published:

Abriss der Bierbrauerei
                  7., aktualis. u. erw. Aufl.
                  LUDWIG NARZISS
                  9783-527-31035-7
                  € 57,90 /SFr 93,-
                  Publisher: Wiley-VCH

Comment

I think Designing Great Beers is an excellent source for information for anyone on a number of styles, even if it is somewhat 'basic'. Daniels put a lot of time and effort into it, and just happened to write it in such a way that it is easily understandable.

In my book bag currently is George Fix's Priciples of Brewing Science...which I've read about 3 times, but still keep handy for reference. I don't have a background in chem, so the diagrams and notations may as well be \from some extinct alien race, but his descriptions of the actually processes and chem changes are excellent, and in terms the layman like me can understand.
                    www.devilcraft.jp
                    www.japanbeertimes.com

Comment

Working...
                    X