Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splitting batch - Head space problem

Hey,
    I need to split 20HL (about 17 bbl) into two 40HL (34 bbl) fermenters in order to add different fruit purées to them. I would like to put 10HL (8,5 bbl) into each 34 bbl fermenter.
    What makes me afraid is the huge head space and the related possible beer oxidation.
    I have 2 options:
    1) Ferment 17 bbl in the same fermenter and split it after fermentation and then add the fruit and wait for the second fermentation to start;
    2) Split the wort before fermentation into the 34 bbl fermenter. Which means ferment and add the fruit into the 34 fermenter without moving it.

I think the second option can protect the beer more from oxidation.

Have you had any experience on things like this?
    Do you have any suggestion?

Thank you!

Easy choice

If oxidation is your only concern, then option 2 is the way to go. Difficult to purge a large tank enough as it is. But filling it only partially gives any oxygen left ample opportunity to do its dirty work.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Your only issue will be cooling. You would only be filling to 1/3 full, and I suspect that your temperature probe is somewhere near half full. The general rule of thumb is the smallest batch size into a tank should fully cover the temp probe by a few inches at least.

Comment

Working...
      X