Half batch capable brewhouse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Half batch capable brewhouse?

I am wondering what limitations there are on brewing half volume batches on a standard steam-heated brewhouse.
    For example if a brewhouse is designed for 20bbl knockout volume, would there be any issues with trying to make only 10bbl?

The limitations I can think of are: less contact area with the steam jackets, possibly not covering temp probes, shallower grain bed depth, maybe lower yields.

Is there anything else that could cause detriment in this type of setup?

You have nailed the basics - appropriate coverage of temperature probes and heating jackets - so the heating jackets (or probably just the bottom one(s)) is / are completely covered, the temperature probe is covered.

The same basic criteria apply to FVs and conditioning tanks etc., although here you may also wish to include carbonation stone levels.

No problem doing this - just get the kit specified correctly. For what it is worth, I have brewed 60 UK brls in a 240 UK brl mash tun, the only difference I think (this was over 15 years ago) being we had to have the mash temperature 1 deg C higher to achieve the same FG.
    dick

Comment

Originally posted by dick murton View Post
      You have nailed the basics - appropriate coverage of temperature probes and heating jackets - so the heating jackets (or probably just the bottom one(s)) is / are completely covered, the temperature probe is covered.

The same basic criteria apply to FVs and conditioning tanks etc., although here you may also wish to include carbonation stone levels.

No problem doing this - just get the kit specified correctly. For what it is worth, I have brewed 60 UK brls in a 240 UK brl mash tun, the only difference I think (this was over 15 years ago) being we had to have the mash temperature 1 deg C higher to achieve the same FG.
      Thanks for the reply. That all makes sense. Interesting to note the difference in fermentability. Maybe more action from the agitator played a role?

Comment

No agitators in a British mash tun
        dick

Comment

Working...
        X