Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry hopping stimlate fermentation?

OK, this is a new one for me.

I fermented my IPA in a cylindroconical at 20ºC until bubbles in the airlock stopped. I then added 5kg of hops (to 20hL of beer) via the top of the fermenter. Immediately, bubbles began in the airlock. I assumed that the dry hopping knocked some dissolved CO2 loose. However, 2 days later I'm still getting a slow, but steady stream of bubbles in the airlock. What is the deal? Could the dry hop addition have somehow stimulated the yeast?

My guess is no......its just like you said, the hops bringing the co2 out of solution.

Take a gravity and see if its dropped since you hopped it.

Comment

Ditto on Sauce's analysis. The addition of hops at the end of fermentation will expedite the release of CO2 from the beer very quickly. Check your gravity and I think you will see very little change.

Also, be very careful when adding dry hops at the end of fermentation, as it can cause a volcano like beer/hop eruption through whichever port you are using. I once spent 10-15 minutes on the top step of a ladder with my hand over the PRV port trying to keep it to a slow vent and the spray off of the ceiling. If you start to feel any gas movement out of the tank while you are dry hopping, replace the PRV or cap immediately and try again later.

Comment

Cool -- you're right -- the gravity is virtually unchanged. Now, does anyone know why this happens?

Comment

The dry hops are great points of nucleation.
          Cheers & I'm out!
          David R. Pierce
          NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
          POB 343
          New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

I've got some bad news too: by not sealing off your fermenter after you dry-hopped, you lost a lot of your hop aroma compounds with the escaped CO2. Next time close the valve to the airlock after you get down from the ladder to completely seal the fermenter and retain aromas.

Comment

Yeah, good point. I was surprised at the volume of excaping CO2 so didn't think I'd need to seal it off.

Comment

Something I do to prevent the valcano is to have both outlets on top open (we either have a 2 inch bal valve or cap along with the PRV). I then add about an ounce of Fermencap diluted in about 1.5 pints of hot water from my liquor tank before I start adding the hops.

The fermencap mixture atays near the top because its hot ( I presume). This completetley prevents the volcano effect as well helps wth the hops settling out.

And no, there doesnt seem to be any negative effects on my head retention with this late addition. I think with the violent release of co2 (I do closing of the CIP arm) , that any negative effect is negated as it is with an addition at the beginning of fermentation.

Comment

Working...
                X