Lagers Question and Capability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

three week lagers

I have worked for major breweries in Sweden and Denmark. They all use the same process for their Pilsners. High gravity brewing at about 1060, 13 celcius primary fermentation for 1 week (or rather, the diacetyl level indicates when its time to secondary) after that the yeast is dumped from the cone, then the beer is passsed through a heat exchanger and chilled to lagering temperatures, usually around 4 C for two weeks whereupon the beer is finally sterile filtered and diluted with weak beer to the recipes alc %requirements and pressurized in the BB tank before packaging shortly thereafter.
    Simple way to make a fast lager. But as mentioned before one must have a yeast strain that ferments fast and clean and has medium to high flocculation. Otherwise your f:"#$ed. A REAL or traditional lager beer should be cold lagered for 3 months.
    Dave Meadows
    Grand Canyon Brewing co
    David Meadows
    Brew House Technologist
    TECHNOBREW
    (619)840-3311
    david@technobrew.com

Comment

Another issue with Lagers, for me at least, is maintaining good quantities of healthy yeast. Lager yeast does not multiply as much and it always takes me a few generations to get a good pitch. In my situation I only have one fulltime lager and it is a pain to keep the yeast healthy. Obviously if you are consistently brewing lagers this wouldnt be an issue, but if you are trying to maintain only one or two that dont turn really fast it can be hard. I finally gave up maintaining my own lager yeast and started getting it from a local brewpub that brews mostly lagers. I can get a few batches from that and I only need to get yeast from them a few times a year.
      Big Willey
      "You are what you is." FZ

Comment

Working...
      X