Thread: Biscuit Malt?

Biscuit Malt?

Hello all,

It's been since I was a homebrewer since I've used it, and our supplier here doesn't carry biscuit malt and hasn't heard of it! (Japan, go figure...) I can't recall who made what I was using before...

Can anyone tell me what maltsters are making some quality biscuit malt?

Thanks!
    www.devilcraft.jp
    www.japanbeertimes.com

Dingemans

Offered by Cargil in the states.
    Cheers & I'm out!
    David R. Pierce
    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
    POB 343
    New Albany, IN 47151

Victory malt from Briess is supposed to be an American equivelant. It's not the same but its in the ballpark if you have nothing else.

kiln amber

If you can get some European malt easier, Franco Belges makes Kiln Amber which I think is the equivalent to Biscuit

a little of the topic but could one of you guys tell me what actually biscuit malt is? I mean how it is defined and produced?

I thought MFB Kilned Amber was more akin to British maltsters Amber malt....which I think is more of a nutty flavor. Likewise, MFB Kilned coffee is similar to brown malt. Basically a medium kilned pale malt.

I thought biscuit was a dirivitve of a crystal malt that has been klined darker.

Biscuit Malt

From Brewers Supply Group:

Castle Biscuit malt will provide a warm bread or biscuit flavor and aroma and will lend a garnet-brown color.

From Castle Malting:

BISCUIT Malt

Coloration EBC: 50

Features:
    Very special Belgian malt, lightly kilned, then lightly torrefied up to 160C

Usage:
    Special beers. Recommended max. mixture : 15 %

Characteristics:
    Usually used with strong yeast to produce amber and bitter beers.

Biscuit is a unique malt that's lightly roasted, lending the subtle properties of black and chocolate malts. Used at the rate of 3 to 15 %, it is designed to improve the bread & biscuits , or toasted flavor and aroma characteristics to Lagers and Ales.

hmmm maybe I am wrong about Frango belges, so I'll have to talk to my salesman, but I found this, so...

"Coloring Malts MFB produces a line of coloring malts made by subjecting selected kilned malts to varying degrees of torrification. Malts thus treated exhibit improved stability, flavor mellowness, and head retention. Beer color is reinforced without coloring head foam. All of the following malts are made of Plaisant barley grown in the region of Beauce-Gatinais and processed at MFB's Pithiviers plant.

Coloring 50 (kilnamber): A softly roasted malt with a light, biscuit taste, this malt can be used in any beer style in which additional color is required. Odor of mash: aromatic. Degree of clarity: dark. Rate of filtration: slow.
    "

I use MFB kiln amber for its biscuty/toasty aroma which I think lends more maltyness/breadyness to the finished beer. It has a much lower color than other choices.
    DWC had a biscuit malt- that may be available to you? I havent used it in a long time. Briess Victory, or darker, Special B are also good for these flavors.....
    Operations Director, Tin Roof BC
    ted@tinroofbeer.com
    "Your results may vary"