Type II Vent Hood Height Requirments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Type II Vent Hood Height Requirments

We’re a small 3bbl brewery with a 3bbl Portland Kettle Works system with three large kettles on direct fire burners. We’re being told we will need to install a Type II vent hood and this hood must sit 4 feet above the cooking surface/burners. The height of those burners is 26 inches. The pots themselves are 39 inches making up 65 inches total. This leaves us a whopping 9 inches remaining between the top of the kettles and the lip of the hood. Not enough room to get in a mash paddle or bucket to pour in ingredients.

We’re trying to find any exception or work around in the code to allow us to have more clearance between the hood and the kettles. I’m sure there’s someone out there that may have already experienced this dilemma. Any help on how to work around this or convince my local authorities to grant an exception would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay

Originally posted by Jay@6Degrees View Post
    We’re a small 3bbl brewery with a 3bbl Portland Kettle Works system with three large kettles on direct fire burners. We’re being told we will need to install a Type II vent hood and this hood must sit 4 feet above the cooking surface/burners. The height of those burners is 26 inches. The pots themselves are 39 inches making up 65 inches total. This leaves us a whopping 9 inches remaining between the top of the kettles and the lip of the hood. Not enough room to get in a mash paddle or bucket to pour in ingredients.

We’re trying to find any exception or work around in the code to allow us to have more clearance between the hood and the kettles. I’m sure there’s someone out there that may have already experienced this dilemma. Any help on how to work around this or convince my local authorities to grant an exception would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay
    65 inches from the finished floor? That's below the eye level of a lot of people!

According to various installation instructions I've found, the hood must be 6 feet 6 inches above finished floor. This is so the person at the range doesn't knock themselves unconcious on the edge. For example, page 6 of this document: https://www.captiveaire.com/manuals/...oc/hoodman.pdf

"The hood should be hung so that the bottom of the hood is 6'6" from the finished floor, unless otherwise specified
    by local authorities having jurisdiction."

Now, your local jurisdiction says 65" in this case, but to me, a 65" clearance is a workplace hazard. A type II hood isn't used to remove grease, so the installation height would seem to be less critical. I've had lots of arguments with inspectors where I didn't win, but it seems like you should win this one.

Maybe you should mock it up full size with cardboard, and show them it's impossible to safely use it when the hood is that low.

Regards,
    Mike Sharp

Comment

Originally posted by rdcpro View Post
      65 inches from the finished floor? That's below the eye level of a lot of people!

According to various installation instructions I've found, the hood must be 6 feet 6 inches above finished floor. This is so the person at the range doesn't knock themselves unconcious on the edge. For example, page 6 of this document: https://www.captiveaire.com/manuals/...oc/hoodman.pdf

"The hood should be hung so that the bottom of the hood is 6'6" from the finished floor, unless otherwise specified
      by local authorities having jurisdiction."

Now, your local jurisdiction says 65" in this case, but to me, a 65" clearance is a workplace hazard. A type II hood isn't used to remove grease, so the installation height would seem to be less critical. I've had lots of arguments with inspectors where I didn't win, but it seems like you should win this one.

Maybe you should mock it up full size with cardboard, and show them it's impossible to safely use it when the hood is that low.

Regards,
      Mike Sharp

Yes, the top of kettle as it sits on the burner stand is at 65".

Our authorities are saying the hood needs to be hung 4' above the "cooking surface" which starts at 26". We understand the use of the hood but they just don't get what we're using it for because they've never experienced it before. I'll suggest a mock-up but we have plenty of pictures we've already shown.

Thanks for the suggestion

Comment

Hello Jay,

I think your friendly authorities think you are running a cooking range and not a brewery.

Presumably, the chief 'culprit' of your 3 vessel system is the copper. Why not just fit a vapour condenser on that. The mash tun, for example, does not need venting.

I have been involved with many environmental issues with breweries, and a vapour condenser on the copper meets requirements.

A hood is the worst way of getting rid of vapours - it does not address the source of the problem and draws large amounts of air through the premises. Not good in winter!

Best regards,
        Michael George.

Comment

Working...
        X