No announcement yet.

Measuring O2 in brite before transfer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Measuring O2 in brite before transfer?

I am looking to measure the O2 level of gas coming out of the blowoff tube in my brite tank. Possibly push CO2 through the bottom until the gas coming out of the blowoff arm is at a sufficient level? I know the DO meters needed to measure packaged beer are very specialized and expensive, but does anyone have experience with a less expensive version that can just measure the amount of O2 in air? I'm not really trying to measure the beer itself, just the environment it's going into. We had an IPA get noticeably oxidized a couple of days after being transferred into the serving tank. I've researched many methods of purging the brite and will be trying them, but would like a way to measure their effectiveness.

Thanks!

Originally posted by TimBrew Slice View Post
    I am looking to measure the O2 level of gas coming out of the blowoff tube in my brite tank. Possibly push CO2 through the bottom until the gas coming out of the blowoff arm is at a sufficient level? I know the DO meters needed to measure packaged beer are very specialized and expensive, but does anyone have experience with a less expensive version that can just measure the amount of O2 in air? I'm not really trying to measure the beer itself, just the environment it's going into. We had an IPA get noticeably oxidized a couple of days after being transferred into the serving tank. I've researched many methods of purging the brite and will be trying them, but would like a way to measure their effectiveness.

Thanks!
    Hi: A method we've found more effective than the purge and vent of tanks is to blanket CO2 from the outlet drain and we measure DO from the sample cock about 3 feet above the drain until the level in the headspace is under 100 ppb. Important you blanket the CO2 slowly not to disturb the CO2 blanket you are creating at the bottom of the tank. Since CO2 is heavier than air you can create a pure blanket on top of the beer to protect it from the headspace gas. It's not important that you get all of the air in the headspace out of the tank if you filling the tank to capacity as the air and mixed gas headspace will vent as you fill the tank and the pure CO2 blanket will remain at the top of your tank (3 foot blanket at 100ppb or lower give us DO's in the 10 ppb range.
    If you partially fill the tank, then risk that as you package out, you disturb the blanket and any air above the blanket comes in contact with the beer, we've seen this when DO has gone up in the BBT after packaging a portion of the beer.

Back to your question on testing headspace gas, You can measure air vs oxygen using a Zahm buret and caustic, its not super accurate but much cheaper than investing in a DO meter that goes down to 1 ppb level.

Comment

Working...
    X