Whirlpool Only Hopping and Boil Length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whirlpool Only Hopping and Boil Length

I've been having a lot of success with one of my DIPAs using only whirlpool and dry hopping. Even without adding any hops throughout the boil, I still boil for 60 minutes. But, I've been thinking, is there any benefit of boiling more than 20 minutes +/- once sterilization has occurred? Just thinking about electricity and time savings. Thanks.

In short, yes, because of DMS.
    The half-life for DMS is 40 minutes, so half of the DMS will be boiled off in a 40 minute vigorous boil. So if we do the math, a 60 minute boil gets rid of 64.7% of the DMS and a 90 minute boil rids us of 79% of the DMS. That is why most experienced brewers recommend a 90 minute or longer vigorous boil.
    From http://beersmith.com/blog/2012/04/10...e-brewed-beer/

Comment

Sounds like a good enough reason to me....thanks for doing the math!

Comment

Depends what malt you are using. If you use a well modified ale malt, then you will have little of no DMS precursor left - it has all be cleared out during kilning - so a short boil might be adequate. If you are using a pale lager malt, then there is a risk of DMSP being left - in which case you need a longer boil.

However, whichever malt you use, you might not get sufficient protein coagulation in particular to give you the shelf life you want / need. There are other undesirable aromas that you would also wish to flash off - ones that could give wort unboiled characteristics to your beers. These may or may not take longer than 20 minutes to get rid of. There are various systems that have used holding wort at close to or only just at boiling point for an hour, with virtually nil evaporation, to get the protein coagulation (and AA isomerisation) but then have separate flash evaporation systems to get rid of DMS and other undesirable volatiles.

I would be tempted to do trials of progressively shorter boil times, comparing the freshly brewed beer from each trial against a freshly brewed standard 60 minute boil. Somewhere in the back of my brain, 40 minutes is coming up as the shortest normally quoted recommended boil time - but don't hold me to that
        dick

Comment

Working...
        X