Brown Rice as an adjcunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brown Rice as an adjcunt

Is their anyone who uses Brown Rice as an adjunct? What differences as far as "healthier beer" do you see? I am thinking about brewing a small 5 gal batch with Brown Rice as an adjucnt, just wandering if anyone has tried this before.

Never used it, but I supect it will just be harder to gelatinise it, get all the starch out and prevent residual starch hazes. Not sure what health or if there are any brewing benefits you could possibly claim either.

I'm happy to hear these thoughts shot down though

Cheers
    dick

Comment

Brown rice and healthy beer

As always watch what terms are used in implicating "healthy" beers - FDA are encroaching already on the heels of TTB and we do not want FDA regulating beer production. So by all means make "healthier" beers just don't put that on the label. Also check spellings carefully - your post most certainly caught my attention based on that.

Comment

The title caught my eye as well. I must say I'm a little disappointed we're just talking about "adjuncts".

I think you're right, Dick. I don't know, but wouldn't there be more protein and more complex carbohydrate bonds in brown rice, i.e. more similar to the endosperm of a grain corn? I'll have to look it up (another day)...

Comment

brown rice is basically less polished rice... therefore (relatively) more protein in it.
          protein => (certain) flavor, head retention, haze
          I am curious what flavor profile it would provide, if anything significant.

in terms of health effects, there are supposed to have more vitamins in the barn in brown rice, but my guess is most of it would be absorbed by the yeast and probably wouldn't make too big a difference in the final beer... after all you would only be using an adjunct amount anyways.

Sake makers are crazy about polishing the rice... at least for their purpose, the barn flavor isn't what they are after.

but why not try it? rice is cheap.

Comment

Brown rice flakes might be easier to use (pregelatinized). I know I've seen them in local health food store.

Love to know how it turns out.

Pax.

Liam
            Liam McKenna
            www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Like jarviw said, brown rice is rice that has not been polished to remove the bran layer. The bran layer has protein, vitamins and minerals. The white rice endosperm also has protein, like barley and barley malt. Corn grits on the other hand are nearly pure (98%) starch. If you are going to brew with rice, brown or white, you must be sure you have precooked the rice to gelatinize the starch. If you find a pregelled flaked rice, be sure it has been heated sufficiently to fully gel the starch. If not, it will be a long mash until conversion. Another way to go is to use brown rice syrup. Brown rice syrup is a product made and used in the food industry and it is available in both conventional and organic forms. You can even find brown rice syrup with a sugar profile similar to wort. You can add brown rice syrup to the kettle.

Dr Malt

Comment

Working...
              X