5L mini keg and tap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5L mini keg and tap?

Was wondering if anyone has experience with these 5L mini kegs ("5L cans")?
    any ideas for vendors? packaging lines?

I think it may provide a good alternative for markets where draft beer is not usually consumed (e.g. small restaurants/shops with no space or capacity to maintain a tap), but am curious about the cost and ease of use (both from a production point of view and consumer/retailer points of view.)

the taps they sell in homebrew stores are about $60+ using CO2 cartridges, but are there other standard taps out there that may be more economical?

or would that be better just to stick with bottles?

Schaefer keg

Schaefer has 5 and 10 liter kegs with standard Sankey valves, so no need to buy a special tap. They also have small kegs with a CO2 reservoir built in, and can use a modified sankey coupler.
    I'm a fan of all their kegs
    Providing North America with beer, soda and wine containers including cooler backpacks
    Matt Walsh

Comment

Crosby & Baker carries 5L mini kegs and the party star tap. I have found them to be quite durable and work very well. Customers have had the same keg/tap system for years without problems.

Cheers!

Dave

Comment

We started selling min kegs in the Pittsburgh area 2 years ago. Our mini kegs do not require a tap. You vent at the top and pull the tap out from the bottom and fill by gravity. We sell them to our distributer packaged in twos and as individual kegs in our brew pub. The only draw back is that the keg has to be drunk in 5-6 hours.

Comment

Id suggest them as a occasional promotional release to celebrate special occasions. We found the novelty wore off consumers after extended periods.

Comment

I will reply my own post... just in case anyone is following this.

Wecomatic of Germany makes several different fittings/taps for these 5L mini kegs... including a fitting that appears to be able to take CO2 line instead of cartridge.

Comment

5 Liter Party Keg Price

Does anyone know how much these kegs cost? Also are filling these as simple as filling bottles and then inserting the bung on top or is there another process?

We are looking at this a a possible option for additional sales.
              Cheers!
              -Alan

Comment

We sell a fair amount of these...mainly for people having parties. We really haven't gone with the tapping device as these are typically drunk in one go. They even make cool little tap and refrigeration combo devices for them, but all the ones we have tested were Made in China plastic crap...

Our landed cost is about £2.75/unit (GBP), which includes the bung and a handle. They are manufactured by Huber in Germany and they now make a couple different variations. One that actually includes a CO2 device inside of it, but you pay for it. For us, we use the simple one with a vent bung in the top and a built in tap at the bottom...picture here: http://www.lovibonds.co.uk/shop_prod...p?id=879&cat=0.

We fill them with our Applied Bottling Single Head filler and it works like a champ...this includes pre-evac and counterpressure fill. After fill, you basically hammer in the bung. I've done it with a beer gun (painfully slow) and I have seen this done simply filling from a hose connected to a tank or firkin...which works for flat beer...we don't do flat beer...

Cheers,
                Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
                Chairman of the Beer
                Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
                Henley-on-Thames, Englandshire
                W: www.lovibonds.com
                F: LovibondsBrewery
                T: @Lovibonds

Comment

Looking to buy Bump

Any new information on US sources for these?
                  Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
                  tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
                  "Your results may vary"

Comment

Working...
                  X