Thread: Quat on glassware?

Quat on glassware?

I just learned that, for years, our bartenders have been washing glasses in a 3-sink system where the final sink contained a Sysco brand quaternary sanitizer. Seems to me this will not only reduce the foam retention of the beer, but leave either gram-neg or gram-pos (can't remember which) alive. I flipped out just a little bit and am really hoping that I'm at least right about the problem. Am I?

What do people recommend for glass washing chemicals?

Glass santi

I had the bartenders at the pubs I worked at switch to the PAA sanitizer I was using in the brewery. The glasses showed much better lace afterwards. Everyone was happy...

Beer Clean is a brand from Johnson Diversy and NuFoam is available from Glissen Chemical Corp. both are good for beer glassware

Ed

Blue Line Draft Systems

Hello,

Oft times what can and cannot be used as a final rinse will be under the jurisdiction of the local health department, or Ag. dept. depending upon specific state rules and regs. We have had trouble with health dept. inspectors when using a perfectly good sanitizer that wasn't on their list.

I would check with your local inspector and see what you can and cannot use.

Cheers,
    Ron
    Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Samples sanitizer

I faced the same problem long ago as well and asked the company who did my chemicals (Ecolab) to provide me with a sample of all the sanitizers they had and that would be good for beer.
    Did a small scale test and was happy with the result.

Cheers

Serge Van Limbergen
    www.sbmbrew.com
    Last edited by BelgianBrewer; 04-05-2008 at 12:16 AM.