Hop bag weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hop bag weight

How much weight does it take to prevent a hop bag from floating in the fermenter or conditioning tank? I'm wanting to start throwing a hop bag with about 2.5 kg of pellets into my conical unitank through the PRV (I think this can be done if carefully) and want to make sure it sinks. I'm thinking a few SS washers should do it, but how many?

hop bag

Originally posted by Woolsocks
    How much weight does it take to prevent a hop bag from floating in the fermenter or conditioning tank? I'm wanting to start throwing a hop bag with about 2.5 kg of pellets into my conical unitank through the PRV (I think this can be done if carefully) and want to make sure it sinks. I'm thinking a few SS washers should do it, but how many?

HI:

If you drow the hop bag with pellets on the surface of your fermenting beer,
    the pellets will absorb the nectar and will be into the surrounding liquid.
    Depending on the time you drow the hop bag onto the surface, the bag will be in the convection cycle of the fermenter and after fermentation it will sink.
    Now, you have to watch that there is no pressure on your concical unitank when opening; and second, your hop bag will sink in the cone and possible will block the outlet of the unitank.
    Just my 2 c

Fred

Comment

One brewery I worked at did a lot of in fermenter additions, not just hops but spices and so forth. We would tie the bag to the racking arm before knocking out to the fermenter. Worked like a charm.

Comment

We have tried weights, but tying off a nylon bag to a racking arm works better IMO. I think it would take more than a few washers to make it sink.

We use leaf hops for dry hopping in the conditioning tanks; we fill and tie a nylon bag to the racking arm before pressurizing up the tank and transferring the beer. Also be sure to use a bag large enough to loosely accomodate the volume of hops. If it is packed too tightly, the inside portion of the hops (whether pellet or leaf) will not come into contact with the beer.

We dry hop via the PRV in our unitanks with pellets and no bags. They settle out nicely after a few days, and we then move to a conditioning tank. As noted in other threads, be careful of this method which can generate lots of foam and CO2 release if the beer is still actively fermenting - it can be ugly if you are unprepared.

Comment

Working...
        X