Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling Kegs back to MicroStar K.M.

Hello,

I have a quick question and I hope that someone has experienced this situation....

How much does MicroStar buy your existing kegs for?

15.5 gallon....
    1/6 Logs....

I would love to know in advance what experiences other breweries/brewpubs have encountered.

Thank you,
    Bryan

I have had some experience with microstar in the UK. The company I was working for started renting casks from them and at first the experience was quite a good way of getting a large amount of casks without the big expense of buying them, but after a while we couldn't get any of the casks back as other companies in the pool where taking them from pubs. Microstar unfortunately could not solve the problem so we decided to buy instead. I don't know if you would have the same problem but its something to think about before selling all your kegs.
    jonofdc

Comment

Microstar

Aloha Bryan,

Are you the new brewer at Kona? Or one of the lucky pub brewers who can now distribute?

We have just started using Microstar this month. We are in a self distribution area so we are on the low end of pricing.

A major concern that we have had is 1/6 bbls. We are a small brewer and our best exposure is having our customers be able to sort of sample our beer via smaller quantities without taking a risk. This has proven very helpful because our product has been able to sell itself after their intial investment.

After we signed on and paid our "deposit" we were delivered our kegs. I had ordered 100 but to date we have only received 98. I think that the intial order will always be the most difficult especially in the middle of summer. I immediately ordered 100 more because of the 3/1 theory (3 kegs per handle.) Which means that we still need to move into about 100 more.

As far as selling kegs back to MSKM they will pay you based upon the age of the barrels. If you look at their webpage it explains it pretty well. We have used converted hoff stevens and sankey soda kegs for years but they will not buy these. As our facility grows we would have to spend thousands on new cooperage which are beat up and as you know sometimes never return, nevermind the deposit game that you play with the distributors.

I think if you have between 20-40 handles you may want to consider staying with your own kegs. It is when you start growing and have to start buying more when it becomes a problem. If you stay ahead of the curve by buying 50-100 at a time you might make it. We had over 250 1/2 bbls of which 27 were broken. It doesn't pay to have a busted keg sitting in your dumpster area not turning over! If you have more handles and are growing you may consider changing over.

If you are a pub brewer please consider whether or not it is profitable to get into the draft market especaily if you sign on you will pay an additional $5-7 for cooperage in the MSKM program. I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Kai Adams
      Sebago Brewing Company
      Kai Adams
      Sebago Brewing Company
      www.sebagobrewing.com

Comment

Selling your kegs here may be an option

I have noticed that the sales of kegs on via postings on this site seems rather brisk. While your situation may differ since you are not on the mainland, it still might be something to consider.

Can anybody comment on what the going rate is for used Sanke 1/6 and 1/2 kegs?

Thanks,
        S

Comment

I just purchased some reconditioned 1/2 bbls from sabco (www.kegs.com) for about $53.00/each. The 5 gallon sankeys (reconditioned) were about $3 cheaper. Plus shipping of course. They installed welded stamped name plates for another $2.50/each. The kegs arrived in about 2 weeks and although the reconditioned 1/2bbls are a little old looking, they get the job done fine.
          Hutch Kugeman
          Head Brewer
          Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
          Hyde Park, NY

Comment

I recently bought 60 1/2 and some 5 gal from sabco for 55 or so and found them to be in excellent condition. I've also bought from another source and paid in the $45 range

Comment

Hello, I'm a small time home brewer looking for a place or someone to buy several Sanke kegs i.e. 5 gallon. If you can help me please drop an email at spitfirewolf@hotmail.com. I live in Ottawa, Canada. The closer the better prefferably in Canada but will buy from the States.

Thank you in advance

Comment

kegs

Strickland north of Toronto has good prices on refurbed corny kegs.

check them out

Comment

But the Strickland kegs are UNCONVERTED soda kegs, correct?

Scott

Comment

I need to buy 1-2 and 1-4 bbls to import to Argentina. Are you selling them?Thanks,
                    Ignacio

Comment

Working...
                    X