Locum Brewer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locum Brewer

Is there a desire (I think there is a need) for Locum Brewers?

I agree that there is a need. I had situations where I had to leave my brewery in the hands of a front end manager or cook for a week and I was nervous as all get out. Not because they were morons, on the contrary if they were I would have looked elsewhere for help, just that they only knew what I could tell them in an hour... cap this tank, drop this temp, record this volume etc...

I think that, even though there is such comraderie(sp?) amongst brewers, some companies are so set in their ways and so protective of what they consider their 'proprietary' processes (recipes and so forth) that there might be some reluctance. Obviously the individual would have to be a skilled brewer, have a good reputation and sign a non-disclosure agreement.

Comment

That is my experiance. I went for 4 years without more than 4 days off at a time - which after working in the UK with mandated 20 days per year was a shock. To be honest I posted this link asa part of a project to put myself forward as a Locum.

Comment

I realized your intention after I saw your post in the other section.. sorry... I thought you were trying to open a discussion on the topic.

Personally, I think it's a great idea and have considered doing it myself at various times.

Comment

The worry I've heard from a few people with whom I've discussed this with is that of confidentiality. They suggest, never a view they hold of course, that a Brewer wouyld not be willing to share recipe information with another Brewer. I think this is always a worry for the small brewer, but assuming you want someone werll versed in brewing as a Locum, they are going to have seen or heard of most recipe styles before, plus the whole point is that they don't have a home brewery anyway.

Comment

Working...
          X