Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about your water filter

Hey everyone,
    I'm looking for more information, specifically the type of water filteration you might be doing at your brewery. We currently have a sand filed (actually filled with 100 lbs of activated carbon pellets) depth filter typically used for swiming pools. It has developed a severe leak and needs to be replaced. the owners are not happy with the concept of spending another 300-500 this late in the year. any ideas, or suggestions?

Thanks
    Soup
    Nicholas Campbell

For a small brewery, I like to use a 20" 5 micron prefilter, then the swimming pool filter c/w activated carbon, then a 20" 1 micron polishing filter. You could use a 20" fixed carbon filter in place of the swimming pool filter, but you will need to change the filter much more frequently. That will end up costing more in the long run. The pool filter is the nuts. Don't be penny wise--beer is mostly water and it pays to get it right. Good luck!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Any new ideas

So we've cracked out third filter in five years and need a replacement. Any new ideas?
      Nicholas Campbell

Comment

We use two of these in series. There are different types of filters available depending what you are trying to accomplish. We use a particulate first (shown with the housing) and then a Carbon Cartridge in the second one.

Last edited by Jephro; 04-14-2010, 03:47 PM.
        Jeff Byrne

Comment

Cartridge change

how often are you changing your cartriges? We run a 10 bbl brewhouse w/ hopes of hitting 1200 bbls this year...
          Nicholas Campbell

Comment

every 3 months or so. I'm on a 7 BBL but we use the same setup on a 10 and 15 too.
            Jeff Byrne

Comment

boussh, most unusual. I've seen dozens of these filters in use and never heard of one failing. What kind of pressures are you using? My sand filter is over 10 years old, and it's in the hot tropical sun every day. It's nowhere near failing. Blowing through three filters is symptomatic of something that can be fixed. Just changing to another filter isn't going to solve the underlying problem. Depending on your chlorine load and your filter size, you should expect to change a large pool filter once a year to once every three years. Best thing is to get a chlorine monitor of some sort. I've used papers similar to pH papers in the past, but just got a nifty digital unit from Extech that doubles as a pH meter. (Thanks to the good advice from fellow Probrewers!)
              Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

A suggestion?

My first thought when I read this was that it may be an issue with excessive water pressure blowing out the filter? At a previous brewery I worked at there was a cartridge filter near the cold water shut off. If you slammed the valve closed you could hear the water slam the pipes and it would leak down the filter.

Comment

One size does not fit all. Big Blue 20" carbon filter can only truly be effective with a trickle of water flow. Talk to your filtration experts and base your decision on what your base water is and then flow rate. Know what you are trying to remove and then build your solution. Application will vary with water source/quality. Also, determine variablity in source of water such as well(s) vs reservoir.

Comment

Sorry Soup but you may not like what I've got to say.

Do you have cold water reservoir and pump? Or do you run the unit off the main? If you run it off the main, you better think seriously about your flow rates if you want to effectively remove chlorine.

You should have a look at this.

There are other similar suppliers out there.

I have twin canister units (not from carbtrol - I will revert with the actual manufacturer - it eludes my aging brain, at the moment) governed by a valve switching system with automated backwashing. The system cost about $5K. We are a 10hL brewpub. It occupies a 4'x2' space and is about 6' high. Serious gear for a seemingly simple job albeit a tremendously important one.

To echo previous posts, you really need to be sure of your incoming water and consequently what you're dealing with. Including things like iron, organic material, chlorine (free and bound) etc.

Pax.

Liam
                    Liam McKenna
                    www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

filter

I would use a auto-backwashing system set on a timer. We have used the
                      same system since 1995, with no problems. here's a link to the system that i use on our 5 BBL system, with a 400-500 BBL a year capacity. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/3P971?Pid=search.Hope this helps. I know their a little pricey, but will last for years. Cheers!!

Comment

We used our local Culligan dealer who has done industrial and specificaly brewery applications. Our system is sized on flow rate and for a 15 BBL brewhouse we spent about 4k or more if I recall. Like I said before, your best route is to contact local dealers. If there are breweries in your region, ask them who they used and you might save some time and money if the dealer already knows what you (brewery) are seeking. Don't skimp on this, it does matter! Some regions more than others.

Comment

Virginia Filtronics.... no affiliation... I have used them for two breweries and the are the shiznit!
                          Mike Pensinger
                          General Manager/Brewmaster
                          Parkway Brewing Company
                          Salem, VA

Comment

Water filtration

Check out the Pentek ST-BC series. We are looking at these. Recommended by a plumber friend. Plenty of flow rates and variety of filter cartridges.
                            Doug
                            Hampden Brewing Co.

Comment

Originally posted by gitchegumee
                              boussh, most unusual. I've seen dozens of these filters in use and never heard of one failing. What kind of pressures are you using? My sand filter is over 10 years old, and it's in the hot tropical sun every day. It's nowhere near failing. Blowing through three filters is symptomatic of something that can be fixed. Just changing to another filter isn't going to solve the underlying problem. Depending on your chlorine load and your filter size, you should expect to change a large pool filter once a year to once every three years. Best thing is to get a chlorine monitor of some sort. I've used papers similar to pH papers in the past, but just got a nifty digital unit from Extech that doubles as a pH meter. (Thanks to the good advice from fellow Probrewers!)
                              http://www.extechstore.com/extechph1...-110ph110.aspx

Do you use RO in the tropics or is your water supply ( town or well) fairly stable. If you do use RO and subsequently a holding tank do you use a UV zappper post holding tank to zap any bugs that may be in the holding tank prior to mashing?

Comment

Working...
                              X