Thread: Tank design

Tank design

Greetings from the highest brewery in South Africa. Due to expansion, I need to acquire additional fermentation tanks. The one question that I have been unable to resolve is the height to diameter ratio of the tank. Some folks swear by a 1:1.2 ration while an article in Brauwelt recommended 1:1.5 for micro production. This has to do with stability as well as efficient heat loss during fermentation.
    Theo

System size

What size are your fermenters, because it is mainly in smaller unitank fermenters that this ratio is very important.

BelgianBrewer
    www.sbmbrew.com
    Last edited by BelgianBrewer; 04-05-2008 at 12:12 AM.

Tank design

The tanks will be 10 000lt unitanks
    Theo

That seems to be about 85 US barrels...In the US, stainless steel usually comes in rolls 48 inches wide. If you can use a sidewall dimension that is even multiples of the raw material, you will save great amounts of money in not cutting, and wasting stainless steel. I don't know what size rolls your manufacturer may use, but I would recommend you consider a design that is cost-effective from the manufacturer's side. Then again, depending on where it is made, there may be shipping issues relating to the size.
    If you are making ales with a more vigorous fermentation, a wider tank will have less foaming issues. German literature usually refers to lager fermentations.
    Without technical research, I seem to think a 2:1 height to diameter is pretty normal and even a 3:1 is OK, maybe more. Any change from your current configuration will likely affect the yeast performance, and therefore the flavor of your beer.
    I know there has been research about the location of cooling jackets making a huge difference on performance.
    Last edited by Moonlight; 07-26-2007 at 10:45 PM.

Tank design

Thank for the reply, but due to finger problems and not reviewing my typing I put an extra 0 onto the tank capacity. Volume is 1000lt and not 10 000lt. My most humble appologies
    Theo