Delivery vehicles ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delivery vehicles ?

Kind of an "off-topic" for ProBrewer, but I would appreciate anybody's input on this one:

What types of vehicles are you using (or did you use) as a self-distributing micro?? Were they refrigerated? What were the advantages or disadvatages of your choice? What would you have done differently? New or used?

Any help, suggestions or ideas involving this topic would be tremendous.

Prosit, zum Wohl.

I know its an old post but, Im using a 2000 blazer or as i like to call it the half ton delivery truck. I'm in the process of upgrading to a full ton truck/van in the next month.

Comment

We started with my wife's mini-van (04 grand caravan) with the kid's car seats in place.

Then we "upgraded" to the 96 GMC safari - it's got a ladder frame and can hold 120 x 24's with the back seats removed.

Recently we upgraded again to a Ford 5 ton cube truck. We use the safari for small orders and 2-3 times per week we send out the 5 ton.

None are refrigerated, but we try to deliver kegs early in the run so they're cold. Of course this time of year, we're more worried about the beer freezing before the last delivery is made.

Comment

We used a 1/2 ton cargon van for the first few years, with the kegs we were delivering later in the day insulated with keg parkas (from Micromatic). Our distributors do a lot of the same.
        Linus Hall
        Yazoo Brewing
        Nashville, TN
        www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

I have always used small Nissan pick-ups with camper shells. The Nissan has more weight capacity than other small trucks and even the 4 cylinder is plenty. Some caveats though, the brakes are not designed for the 15 half bbls I put in. Caution is required, and I've only had "problems" twice. I have since beefed up suspension with overload springs and gone to the largest tires I can fit on it, How it is loaded is absolutely critical. As much weight as possible towards the front will keep the front disk brakes able to be in play. Weight on the rear will cause the wimpy drum brakes to "attempt" to stop you. (read "HAH!"). I load a 15.5 in the passenger seat, four quarters behind the front seats, and the rest loaded in the back. Tailgates are a problem as they don't seem to be designed with sliding kegs in mind. After repeated realignment with a sledgehammer, and replacement, I have gotten more adept at strapping the kegs in place, having chains on the rails to strap to. A restaurant floor mat helps the kegs from sliding as well.
          Oh, and the clutch wasn't designed to go all the way up hills in SF fully (over)loaded, but I'll chalk that off to my fault. About 24 mpg and still strong at 145k miles. I retired my first one at 180k miles.
          Perhaps you are wondering why I don't get a big ass pick-up? The smaller trucks are lower to the ground and save your body when kegs have to be moved in and out. (or I'm just not trying to overcompensate?)
          All that said, I believe a vehicle insurance policy doesn't cover a commercial vehicle if it is loaded over it's capacity. Not worth ignoring...
          I tried towing a trailer with extra kegs, and for simplicity sake, let's just say that the next week I went out and bought a used one ton van. I now mostly use an extra long 9600 GVW Dodge van with a capacity of 4600 lbs. It hold 32 halves standing up, and twice that if they are empty. Brakes were designed for exactly this! It rocks, except the 13 mpg and parallel parking in cities. (Double parking with flashers on makes the parking people just laugh and thank me for the homing signal...)

Comment

Veggin

We are delivering in my 98 Dodge 1 ton diesel. Last year we converted it to run off our used veggie oil from the friers in the kitchen. We had one of our loyal customers convert it over (17 hrs)!! Traided for two kegs of IPA, you cant beat that.

Its been working great!!

Comment

Working...
            X