Thread: Glycol crashed beer early

Glycol crashed beer early

I made a 16.5 wheat bock and my glycol system kept going crashing the beer. I have some frementation going and the gravity has dropped 4 point P. Any suggestions? Wait and hope I guess but if there is a solution or suggestion, love to hear it. I can not put hot water through the glocol system. No access. Thanks.

BTW, did any one else get a private message about buddah? Just wondering

How cold did it go?

I think as long as you didnt kill the yeast ( freezing) they should "re-vive" when the temp. warms up and begin fermenting again.
    I got a message about buddha to...from einstien. Its likely spam of some kind. In no way connected with the Laughing Buddha Brewing Co..

Cheers,
    Joe

I have had this happen a couple times. First i would ask if you have a 2 stage Heat Exchanger? If so, you can heat water in the kettle, manually shut off the glycol to all of your other fermenters, and turn off the glycol chiller. Run only the gylcol side of the HE and heat up your glycol with the hot water, the hot glycol will heat up your fermenter.

If you only have a single stage HE, like i do at this brewery, it is possible to warm your glycol, but it's a little bit more tricky. Let me know if i can be of any assistance.
    Jeff Byrne

12 year pro craft brewer *NOW available for hire...
    Auburn, Wa - for now

Or do what I did at the Big Buck and run a garden hose with hot water at a very slow rate/stream on the manway door to warm up the wort.
    "By man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world" -- St. Arnold of Metz

thanks

1 stage HE, great idea though. Yes Rob I put a hose on it. The beer warmed up and dropped to 2.4D so it's ok I guess. Wonder what it will taste like. Wait and see. Thanks Guys