Temporary Brewer service - feasible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chip Tate
    I think Mr. Hops missed the point that all of the above proposals involve pubs that are looking for and in need of a brewer--not those already well staffed
    Perhaps I should've read the above "proposals" more carefully.
    I'm hardly insecure about my position/qualifications, I've enjoyed more success (yea,..medals, ribbons...huge sales figures n' all that) than most.
    At the onset, it just seemed rather rude to go into a pub/brewery to "do the brewer better",because you "think" you can or might make some money as a psuedo-consultant.
    That said, I don't really think the idea has practical merit. I mean, when was the last time you ever heard of a brewery posting an ad or even asking around for someone to fix thier screwed-up situation? Extremely rare if at all. It'd be a clear indication the place was so disfunctional, it was already too late to save.

As far as a "brewer's code" of ethics.....there may not be one, but perhaps there should be.
    But that's just my dream world.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.hops
      Perhaps I should've read the above "proposals" more carefully.
      I'm hardly insecure about my position/qualifications, I've enjoyed more success (yea,..medals, ribbons...huge sales figures n' all that) than most.
      Glad to hear you've been successful. I have, too (GABF Gold, lots of beer sold, blah, blah).

At the onset, it just seemed rather rude to go into a pub/brewery to "do the brewer better",because you "think" you can or might make some money as a psuedo-consultant.
      As has been pointed out, that ISN'T the idea at all. I "think" (why are we putting that in quotation marks?) that I can provide a service to a brewery or brewpub with a critical personnel problem (brewer sick, injured, quit or fired, or just needing some capable short-term help or replacement).

That said, I don't really think the idea has practical merit. I mean, when was the last time you ever heard of a brewery posting an ad or even asking around for someone to fix thier screwed-up situation? Extremely rare if at all. It'd be a clear indication the place was so disfunctional, it was already too late to save.
      I haven't seen anyone posting an ad, but I have heard of brewpubs needing the cavalry to ride in to save the day. I was that cavalry in two instances. One situation required me to spend a month decontaminating a badly infected brewing system and brewing up a few batches of beer, the other one being a nearby brewpub who had a brewmaster quit suddenly just at a time when I was local and available.

In another situation, a friend of mine was the brewmaster at a brewpub and was badly burned by a ruptured hose. In that case, the only available subsitute brewer was his part-time assistant, who fortunately was both skilled and able to put in the extra time.

As far as a "brewer's code" of ethics.....there may not be one, but perhaps there should be.
      But that's just my dream world.
      I find my personal code of ethics works just fine!

Cheers, Tim

Comment

Here, Here, Ted!

Well said Ted. I have been doing "clean up" and consulting in addition to my regular day job making Wort for about 9 years now. It can be done, but I reccomend a good strong relationship with a brewery based on hard work, honesty, and professionalism.

Many of us in the wort production business have spent years of our careers establishing ourselves as professionals. Bad attitudes and opinions about us from ownership are often based on the experience management has had with a small minority of "...drunks with the personality skills of a bananna...." (love that insight by the way)

raise the bar...do good work and show your professionalism
        Larry Horwitz

Comment

Tarmadilo, I can see the logic in your proposal. Weather or not the market is there for sustained business is another matter, and probably dependant upon your marketing skills and reputation.

In particular, I can think of a good reason to hire you, if I liked your resume:
          I plan to start a brewpub in the next couple years. Currently I am a homebrewer with some minimal commercial experience, and I think that I'm a pretty darned good homebrewer. (allow my gloat)
          But the thought of making that first 10 bbl batch scares the crap out of me. Now I'm sure if I were to purchase a brand spanking new turn-key operation, some consulting would be provided. If however I found a reasonable used system, I would look into hiring someone like yourself to help me get going, as I realize my own strengths/weaknesses. Then if I liked your services, I might consider hiring you part time later down the road if my wife and I wanted to take a vacation.
          Many many what-ifs, like would I trust my assistant brewer, but
          I can see some real merit in your ideas, although the life of a traveling consultant would not be for me personally.

Weather it's feasible or not, I like the way you think.

Comment

Working...
          X