Slaked/Hydrated Lime aka Calcium Hydroxide Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slaked/Hydrated Lime aka Calcium Hydroxide Source

Can anyone help me source some food-grade CaOH aka slaked lime aka cal aka hydrated lime? This would be for "emergency" raising of mash pH's and/or adjusting pH of final wort. Plus yeast like calcium!

Try here. Apparently used in tortilla production as well.
    Cheers & I'm out!
    David R. Pierce
    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
    POB 343
    New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Mississippilime.com

I use it in water treatment to drop out prem hardness. The product is called VITACAL H and it is made by the Mississippi Lime Company, mississippilime.com
      Mark Duchow
      Brew Master
      Short Fuse Brewing Co.
      Chicagoland
      "The best beer is FREE beer"

Comment

The source above works. I can also compare prices at mississippilime. How do you go about using it to precip perm hardness?

Comment

CaHO water treatment

My water Assay (ppm)
          Bicarbonate 376.9
          Calcium Total 72.6
          Hardness Total (CaCO3) 376.5
          Magnesium Total 45.2
          Sodium Total 12.6
          Sulfate Total 32.3
          pH 7.6

Addition of 0.229 (g/L) drops out the Bicarbonate and adds an additional 123.574 ppm of Ca to the water. I also put an additional 0.042 (g/L) of CaSO4 or 0.036 (g/L) CaCl to bring my Ca to 205 (ppm).

The previous brewer had a record of seriously astringent beers. His treatment was a simple addition of Phosphoric Acid and in his case was ineffective.

The addition of the Lime will drop out of your HLT along with the bicarbonate in a matter of 4 to 5 hours. As far as adjusting the pH i use Acidulated Malt in the beers that need it such as "lighter" beers, i.e. pils and wheat beer. Beer such as stouts and porters do not need the Acidulated Malt because the roasted malts will drop the pH.
          Mark Duchow
          Brew Master
          Short Fuse Brewing Co.
          Chicagoland
          "The best beer is FREE beer"

Comment

Working...
          X