Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BIA_Brewery View Post
    Hey BrewMeister,

Thanks for the reply, yeah I asked specifically about that, you'll see there's a section just before the diagram where he references isoamylacetate, which is the banana component.

"Please find below the impact of pitching rate and fermentation temperature on the production of isoamylacetate, the banana flavor component."

And in terms of the isoamylacetate content on the chart, as well as the pitching rates and temperature on the chart, it seems to support his theory. So yeah, this confuses me...don't suppose anyone has seen this kind of reaction with this yeast under the described conditions? As always real world scenarios always speak volumes, but if you can't trust the information that's being put out by the manufacturer and you're looking for a certain profile, it makes things a little difficult.

Hope someone can help shed light on this!

Chris
    Found this thread looking at fermentis yeasts for potentially making a hefe/weizenbock. I have heard Weihenstephaner ferments their beer around 62F. Never having been satisfied with the balance of my previous hefes (too much clove, not enough banana), I tried this out (as a home brewer) with WLP300 and the results were amazing. That yeast finished in about the same amount of time it had before. Not sure it'll work for WB-06. Sounds like it's a pretty low foam fermenter, so probably not an even comparison, but food for thought.

Comment

Originally posted by tnknight View Post
      I use WB-06 regularly and I notice more clove than banana. However, all the desired flavors and aromas come through. I ferment at 68F. I agree with Buckley, very milky hefe indeed. I am not sure of the source of the yeast. I get a nice level of attenuation with this strain, always somewhere between 73 and 76%.
      ferment it closer to 72 for more banana

Comment

We have always used WB-06 for our hefe and it's not bad by any means. Ferments strong and cleans up pretty quickly, but obviously doesn't flocc out well. I personally don't like how little banana it kicks out, much more clove flavors to me (fermenting around 72). Although I was able to draw more banana out in the last couple batches by cutting back my aeration by about 10%. YMMV

Comment

Confictin information on WB06

Originally posted by BIA_Brewery View Post
          Hey Guys,

I know I'm digging up an old thread here, but I'm trying to figure out like many on this thread to coax some more banana flavour out of this yeast strain...I emailed Fermentis directly collating many of the views expressed on this forum as well as others. My basic question was as follows:

If under-pitching at 40g/L, with wort that hasn't been oxygenated and fermenting reasonably high at 23.5 celcius (this number is quoted somewhere on this thread.) will those conditions generally introduce more banana flavor.

The following was the response I received:

The clove aroma/flavor is natural to the WB-06 as it is a POF+ yeast releasing the 4-VG and phenolic compounds.
          Please find below the impact of pitching rate and fermentation temperature on the production of isoamylacetate, the banana flavor component.

[ATTACH]19947[/ATTACH]

From the above, we indeed notice a better expression by stressing the yeast and dropping the fermentation temperature; and as reducing a bit the pitching rate.
          Of course, the above graphic is an extrapolation of observations we made for fermentations under a range of conditions but we didn’t get to the extremes…
          There is only so much you can do.

So, yes please try moving down to 20°C first and maybe even a bit lower, keeping your pitching rate unchanged as you might have a bit more difficult end of fermentation.
          In any case, at lower temperature your fermentation will obviously be a bit longer.
          After fermentation, we would also recommend lagering at even lower temperature if you have no other issues; down to 4-5°C.

Has anyone had anything near what is being described here? Because this kind of goes against everything which I previously assumed about many Weizen strains...
          Comparing the above lab graph to the brochure info which says:
          for clover flavors: below 22°C (71.6°F)
          for banana flavor: above 23°C (73.4°F)

This is completely contradictory. Thoughts anyone?

Comment

Working...
          X