No announcement yet.

fermentis wb 06

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have fermented it as low as 59-62F. It seems that it has very little bananna flavor. I belive that the lower the ferm temps the greater the amt of clove. I am brewing 5gal batches.
    Cheers!
    -Alan

Comment

In secondary and bubbling nicely

Am in secondary fermentation at present. Of note, my yeast harvest was bottom cropping, for other Fermentis top croppers (e.g. US05), I have a great textbook top harvest. Could be that I racked too soon, but I didn't want to risk waiting (I have a third tx to do anyway so sitting on yeast will not be a problem.) Final characteristics to follow in about 2 weeks.

Comment

Hello Sulfur,

Just wondering about the US05. Admittedly I don't use it more than a few times a year, but I run all open fermenters and the best I can get off that yeast is a pretty low top crop harvest, if anything. Ever had trouble with it top cropping, and what did you do to help it? Aeration? Temperature? Rousing? Increased calcium in brewing water? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
        cheers,
        Ron
        Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Comment

Adaptation

@ GBM. I've only run it a few times till now as well. I'm on my 5th generation with the current batch and no real problems yet. I don't remember how it went with my starter, could of been a bottom harvest. I suspect it could be an adaptation/evolution/selectability issue. My yeast now is used to the brewery and floats to the top just prior to transfer to secondary. I'm hoping this will be the case with the WB06 and since I'm using the same yeast for a second batch in a few days I'll post how it goes as well.

Comment

Tbd

Well the Hefeweizen is being sold....I had good attenuation (81%) which is not surprising given the low flocculation characteristics of this yeast. We brewed a Weissbier every week in Germany (it won gold in 2007 amongst the brewpub style) so I'm very familiar with the style. My final verdict on the WB06 is still TBD. Flavor is more spicy clove than banana but is favorable. I've been cold over a week and it's still too cloudy for me (and today is day 21). I realize this may seem a bit young, but at the brewpub I worked at in Germany, we made plenty of GOOD Hefeweizens in under 21 days. My second batch is in maturation and that will perhaps be the definititive test for the yeast. Incidentaly, that harvest was also bottom. My guess is that this yeast is so fine that it either sinks or stays in suspension vice clumping and rising. Maybe next time I will cool more before harvesting...

Another interesting note. Our brewpub does not have Weissbier glasses which I find a real pity. A Hefeweizen just does not look the same in a Pint glass IMHO.

Comment

Wb-06

Highly efficient: 11P to 2P in <72 hours
              Balanced toward the clove rather than the banana, wich to me is okay.
              Takes time to floculate properly. After kegging, we wait a wek before serving.
              Very nice in a Hefe; not so good with a Dunkel (so far)
              Powdery mouthfeel; not so pleasant taste when in suspension
              Consistent in different temperature range; 18c to 26c

It's super-attenuative; consider adding Carapils and/or light crystals (or mash higher) to get some residual sugars. In comparison, with WB-06 we finish at 2P vs. 2,8 P with any other strains.

Overall impression: very satisfying when in a rush or not wanting to deal with liquid slurry.

zb

Comment

Just finished our secondary with this strain. It has a good balance between banana aroma and clove, although not quite what i hoped for. Primary fermented at 19 degrees C, but hasn't clarified too well.

It's been lagering for nearly two weeks now and all the trub and spent yeast has dropped but alot has remained in suspension. Very milky. Whats interesting is i pulled some into a demijohn and that dropped bright overnight and left a good yeast film at the bottom of it whereas the beer left in the BBT hasn't. Maybe consider a liquid strain instead?

Comment

conditioning

With my batches. The fermentation lasts 5-7 days. I crash for a week then send to BBT. I do usually have to blow a little yeast out of the bottom after sending over. Something about the second transfer that seems to help it drop more clearly.

Comment

I keep hearing low banana ester. Has anyone found a fermentation temperature that produces better banana ester with WB06? I know T58 can produce a mild banana ester when stressed at 70+ temps. I'm using WB06 for the first time and I'd like to have a balanced hefe weizen.

Less clove would work also.

Thanks,
                    Ray
                    Ray Sherwood
                    Sherwood Brewing Company
                    Shelby Township, MI
                    f.586.532.9337

Comment

Hi Ray,

After using this yeast for a while now, i set primaries to 21oC (20 - 22 degrees range) and that seems to have more of a banana edge compared to 19.

Comment

Thanks Matt. That's the type of response I was hoping for. I assume you mean 70F right?

I'm still interested in any other experiences...
                        Ray Sherwood
                        Sherwood Brewing Company
                        Shelby Township, MI
                        f.586.532.9337

Comment

I agree with Fatty Matty that 20-22c is a good target.

Above 24c, the balance is more toward clove-like spicyness, hiding the subtle esters this yeast produces.

Zb

Comment

Do any of the commercial brewers who have used the Fermentis 06 favor it equally or more than a conventional liquid strain of Hefeweizen yeast? How would you rank it? I am very intriqued by it but a little wary as well.

Comment

Good performance; huge attenuation; less assle than stepping a more specific strains.

It is less banana than some good examples, like Hefeweizen IV from Whitelabs wich tends to be my favorite.

So yeah, it's worth trying it I think. Especially like in my case where HW is a seasonal beer.

Zb

Comment

Has anyone tried underpitching a bit with the dry Hefe to get a little more banana? I find with my liquid pitch that when I underpitch a bit and ferment low at 18C (64.4F), I get more banana than when pitching more...

...just knowing that it is pretty easy to pitch proper counts with dry...any thoughts?

Cheers,
                                Jeff
                                Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
                                Chairman of the Beer
                                Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
                                Henley-on-Thames, Englandshire
                                W: www.lovibonds.com
                                F: LovibondsBrewery
                                T: @Lovibonds

Comment

Working...
                                X