Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plastic fermenters simple cooling/fermenting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic fermenters simple cooling/fermenting?

I plan to ferment ales in plastic 220l drums or plastic bins.
    Letting aside (for the time being) a walk-in cooler option what could be a simplest cooling method?

Morebeer.com sells cooling plates or alternatively "snakes" http://morewinemaking.com/search//cooling/3 for about $300.

Should I only look for complementary glycol power pack or other DIY options exist?
    Could a flash beer cooler be used for fermenting? Or any other "improvisation"?

I just looking for the intermediate temporary solution.

Last time I have bumped in the following info about at http://kegman.net/homeglycol.html (Home Glycol Cooling DIY Plan):

"If you need a draft beer line extended from a home refrigerator but don't want the expense of a commercial glycol system ($1100.00+) we have the drawing for every "Do It Yourself". It is a simple drawing showing easily available parts that are obtainable everywhere."

Meantime I order the drawings.

Would much appreciate any help or suggestions.

Leonid Lipkin

Leonid,

For a single small fermenter (say 250l) I was able to get away with a underbar chiller with a recirc loop.

I took one underbar chiller that no longer worked and ripped out one of the stainless steel coils. I cleaned and sanitised the coil and dangled it in the fermenter, pushing cold water from the recirc of a functioning underbar chiller thru it. I wired a thermostat into the chiller to switch the recirc pump on and off depending on the temp of the fermenter. Was able to get the beer to 4C, no problem...in mild weather.

Underbars are pretty easy to come by here, cheap or free, just get to know some bartenders/publicans...

Cheers,

Jeff
    Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
    Chairman of the Beer
    Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
    Henley-on-Thames, Englandshire
    W: www.lovibonds.com
    F: LovibondsBrewery
    T: @Lovibonds

Comment

Flash chiller and coil

Originally posted by Rosie
      Leonid,

For a single small fermenter (say 250l) I was able to get away with a underbar chiller with a recirc loop.

I took one underbar chiller that no longer worked and ripped out one of the stainless steel coils. I cleaned and sanitised the coil and dangled it in the fermenter, pushing cold water from the recirc of a functioning underbar chiller thru it. I wired a thermostat into the chiller to switch the recirc pump on and off depending on the temp of the fermenter. Was able to get the beer to 4C, no problem...in mild weather.

Underbars are pretty easy to come by here, cheap or free, just get to know some bartenders/publicans...

Cheers,

Jeff
      Thank you, Jeff.

There is an option to buy a flash chiller: 21l ice bath, 8 cooling loops, just for about $250. Haven't seen it yet.

What would be a power consumption for such a chiller: isn't it a serious overkill?

The only option for a separate coil found meantime costs $100 but I didn't search enough. Could a copper coil be used?

Would I need solenoid(s)?

Cheers,

Leonid

Comment

best to avoid copper after alcohol is present

Comment

Working...
        X