Glassware Cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glassware Cleaning

Have any of you brewpubbers found a way to get your glassware "beer clean" 90 or so percent of the time? Issues I face:

Sloppy bartenders (we hand wash glasses with the electric whirling brushes) who don't like to wash/rinse/dry carefully

Beer glasses used for soda

Beer glasses going through the kitchen dishwasher (is there something I could change about the chemicals used in the dishwasher?)

Did I mention sloppy bartenders?

Sounds like you know the problems, so how do you correct them

Proper training, then replace people who do not follow procedure

I make it clear ip front, of an employee does not care about the establishment the establishment won't care about them...out the door they go

Comment

Originally posted by bbrodka
      Sounds like you know the problems, so how do you correct them

Proper training, then replace people who do not follow procedure

I make it clear ip front, of an employee does not care about the establishment the establishment won't care about them...out the door they go
      Yes, "selective attrition" is a tempting option, but it creates another challenge: finding people who DO care about the establishment. Where I am, we get mostly college students or people of similar age who are doing this as a temporary gig or, worse, a summer job. As they say, it's hard to find good help, especially when it earns $6/hour and it can easily get another bartending job.

What do you think about a "secret drinker"? Someone comes in and orders beers from all the bartenders over a month and the one with the best glassware/foam stand gets, oh, $50 at the end of the month?

Comment

Personally I don't like to reward them for what is expected from them, rewards are for those who go above the call of duty

Explain to them the importance of proper presentation and the role they play
        A satisfied customer will return, returning customer increases the number of customers they have in front of them to draw tips from

When they try to start taking short cuts, less customers return and over time they take home less tips

What I have done is when I catch a bartender not properly cleaning glassware, they get to come on early on their shift and wash ALL the glassware before their shift. Anything other then beer in my beer glasses is a big no-no one time a warning, second time, theres the door - we have special unmarked pint glasses for the drinks that are used for drinks that call for a pint glass

Seriously, give fair warning then make an example of someone, the others will notice

Don't get me wrong. I am easy to work for, and backup my staff 100% and help them anyway I can, but when it comes to someone not doing their job there is little tolerance and they will find themselves out in the cold real quick

There is a point where you are more willing to take a chance on someone new then tolerate someone who does not pull their weight

That someone often pulls down the moral and standards of the entire staff

turn over is high in this industry, but there is always another smiling face looking for a job

Comment

Working...
        X