Welcome to P.B., now go home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome to P.B., now go home

Is anyone else getting tired of homebrewers posting messages on this site?

If you are a home brewer, suck it up, and pay the annual fee to join the A.H.A.. You can post as many questions as you like on their website. I know. I used to be a member. I never bothered the pros with my problems. I had to figure them out, or talk to other home brewers about it. If you want to be a pro, find an entry level position in a brewery (like most of us did) and take it from there. I'm not trying to sound like a d#%*head, but enough is enough! If you are not here looking for a job, GO HOME!!!!
    Last edited by davidmeyers; 10-17-2007, 09:30 AM.

Well, that’s a bit harsh. We love homebrewers. They buy our beers and many do become professional homebrewers.

However, this site is very specifically for professional brewers. There are many sites for homebrewers including the AHA and others.

Please report posts by homebrewers directly to me and they will be removed.

Admin

Comment

homebrewers

Man most of us pro brewers were homebrewers at one time and personally I really respected and appreciated the opinions of those in the industry. I regard this forum as an information sharing source not so much as a job posting site.

Just my two canadian cents !

Tariq
      Tariq Khan (Brewer/Distiller)

Yaletown Brewing and Distilling Co.
      Vancouver, B.C.
      Canada

Comment

Originally posted by tariq khan
        Man most of us pro brewers were homebrewers at one time and personally I really respected and appreciated the opinions of those in the industry. I regard this forum as an information sharing source not so much as a job posting site.

Just my two canadian cents !

Tariq
        I second that and I will give any excited homebrewer the time of day as well.
        Just a quick note for home brewer's I used a website called www.homebrewdigest.org or .com. and still follow the discusions on that e-mail forum.
        Keep on brewing, Mike Hall
        Mike Hall

Comment

Keep in mind there are people in the homebrew industry (such as myself currently) who much of this information is relevant to, and who are mentioned specifically as pro-brewer related in the registration process. Once I finish school I plan on moving back towards the brewpub side of things.

Comment

After 10 years of "Home Brewing", My fellow Home Brewing compadre and myself are in the middle of a 9 month endeavor to open a small brewery. We are encouraged by all the feedback offered by the many years of experiance these "pros" have. I'm sure that any "home brewer" has had dreams of opening his own brewery. The effort is very trying with many set backs and bumps along the way. Jim and myself owe a huge debt to many "pros" that have encouraged and assisted along the way.
            Sandon Stinnett
            BEAVER CREEK BREWERY!!!
            Wibaux, MT

Comment

A Ramble... While I had read Papazian before I got my first brewery job, I didn't actually start homebrewing until after I was working in the industry. As a pro brewer I LOVE talking to the home guys, helping them out etc. I was always giving yeast slurry etc to anyone who needed it. Homebrewers are a huge portion of our business, aren't they? Let's not bite the hand that feeds us.

Comment

I to am a current homebrewer who should loose my amatuer status in a year or so. I plan on embracing my homebrew brethern as they don't just drink their own beer. They drink good beer. Some of you probrewers probably make that good beer they drink. Some of the homebrew posts I've seen pertain more to a brewpub than they do to a homebrewer as some ask about 40-60 gallon batches. I say, if you can, help em out. Someday they may return the favor.

Comment

Don't we have choices on what posts we read? I don't know about Mr. Meyers, but ProBrewer didn't provide a guy with a gun to my head forcing me to read every single post. I find it quite easy to ignore posts that don't interest me without getting all fired up. Hell, I even keep a cool head when those spam posts get through because, hey!, I don't HAVE to read them.

Homebrewers can post all they want as long as they understand that we professionals don't always have the time, knowledge or interest to respond.
                  Mike Hiller, Head Brewer
                  Strangeways Brewing
                  2277-A Dabney Road
                  Richmond, VA 23230
                  804-303-4336
                  www.strangewaysbrewing.com

Comment

I totally agree with the way this thread is heading. There are a lot of people here that are very interested in making the transition from homebrewer to pro. I think the more we encourage that the more we continue to grow the craft.

I'll also be the first to admit that I still get a ton of inspiration from homebrewers, their forums and publications. Bless them!

It is very easy to determine which posts to read, we all do it every day.
                    I think Sam C said that the best thing about this industry is that it is 99% a**hole free...

...I'm all for keeping it that way!

Cheers,
                    Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
                    Chairman of the Beer
                    Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
                    Henley-on-Thames, Englandshire
                    W: www.lovibonds.com
                    F: LovibondsBrewery
                    T: @Lovibonds

Comment

Hey, it's retail. You're not going to like everyone you meet along the way. Having said that, the homebrewers (yes, I was one once too) are not our enemies! Not a one of 'em! Some ask a dopey question sometimes. Get over it. 99% of the time if you treat them with courtesy, they will be yet another pied piper of your beers.

I would not be where I am without the homebrewers. I even ask them to help me develop new beers. I am blessed to know many homebrewers with incredible talent who come up with a angle I didn't think of. Toss a local club a couple bags of grain and say, "Hey, I was thinking of a beer..." They will all dive at a chance to help out. It truly inspires me everytime I do this!

We all get frustrated sometimes in retail. It's OK. Recognize the emotion. Take a deep breath and remember how blessed you are. Everytime someone asks me how it's going, I tell them, "Super Fantastic"! Even if I feel differently. You can do hard time or you can do easy time. It's mostly in your head and what mood you CHOOSE to be in. I know for a fact it could be a lot worse. I could still be selling auto parts! This is a lot more fun, eh?

Drink more beer,

KJ

Comment

It's the whole student / mentor symbiosis. "Follow your heart Grasshopper"........ "Use the Force, Luke".............

I'll just make sure not to try to get a job with the guy who started the thread!

Cheers,

Tom
                        ECBC

Comment

<sigh of relief>

You will notice that this is my very first post. I have been lurking for close to a year, but being a homebrewer, never bothered to register until recently. Like every homebrewer who has made a single batch of "holy cow, that turned out pretty good" beer, I harbor dreams of doing it for a living. You pros are heroes to the homebrew set.
                          So I was going through the recent posts and spotted the lead on this thread before anyone had responded. SOB, Mr. Meyers was PO'd. I wondered if the rest of the probrewer set felt the same way, especially since so many pros were once homebrewers. Had you forgotten about the little people?
                          Thankfully, the rest of you have relieved my fears. I recognize my position as a pest among the probrewer set, so I'll keep my posts to a minimum. That is until I muster the courage to enter the world of brewing for money. You guys keep brewing and we'll keep buying.

As Homer says, "MMMMMM, beeeer."
                          BrewPuppy

Comment

Bad day or what?

Man, This guy is having a rough day!! If it wasn't for this forum I would have had a very tough time opening up our brewery. This forum and community here is the greatest!! I really enjoy it when homebrewers come in and want to talk about BEER or just brewing techniqes etc. Especially when they bring samples!! (I always encourage samples). Maybe thats it... No one wants to give this dude samples??

Comment

I agree. Who has time for this type of drivel. Isn't it time we got back to the threads regarding important issues in professional brewing...like how to pull the string on a bag of malt or proper wedding ring etiquette in the brewery?

Really, who has time for inquiries regarding anything less than a 6.5 bbl batch when there are pressing issues like these confronting us.

Not naming names, but I have sampled homebrews that are higher quality and closer to style than beers produced (and sold) by many a "professional brewer." Perhaps those squirrelly homebrewers might know something after all...

Rock on.

Comment

Working...
                              X