Humidity in your wooden barrel storage room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humidity in your wooden barrel storage room

For those of you who have a barrel aging room, what do you keep the humidity level at? Does it change much/often, and how do you control it? Any other factors that influence the humidity (number of filled barrels, weather, floor/drains, etc.)?

This may not be the answer you are looking for, or all that popular here. Let me first state we only use barrels once (just like Bourbon makers) and then return them to a nearby cooperage when emptied. We pick up the barrels we use the day the bourbon is removed at the distillery. With that said there is no climate control in our brewery or the area where the barrels are stored. I believe this is the best way to get flavors out of the wood. Just as the Bourbon makers do it. The constant changes in temp and humidity promote Beer and Bourbon to be absorbed in and pushed out of the wood respectively. The beer in the barrels keeps them tight unless they are in an abnormally hot and dry environment, like too close to a heating source. The barrels also can not be left empty too long, as the Bourbon will continue to evaporate out of the wood for several months until the barrel just falls apart. If I had the option floor drains would be great, there is always a little spillage and seepage. We are indeed blessed with being so close to Bardstown, KY. Hope this helps..
    Joel Halbleib
    Partner / Zymurgist
    Hive and Barrel Meadery
    6302 Old La Grange Rd
    Crestwood, KY
    www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Hello,

We here at Jolly Pumpkin use and reuse and reuse our barrels as we are looking for that wild yeast and sour bacteria, and I pretty much agree with Joel. I think fluctuations in heat and humidity are a part of barrel aging, but you also need to keep in mind your overall local environs. Here in southeast Michigan, land of cloud and shadows, our humidity is pretty high most of the year. Two days ago it was 98%. Cold and damp to say the least. So we don't worry too much about excessive evaporation here, and if you've been in KY or TN in the summer, you know they don't much either. But if you live in dryer environs you may think about adding some humidity. The barrel area in Stranahan's in Denver is humidified. Before they controlled humidity they were seeing large losses from evaporation due to Denver's very dry climate. I imagine any desert or the like area would need similar considerations.

For temperature, while flux is good, extremes can be bad, especially if you are working with wild yeast etc. We limit the heat of summer with a little AC, and try not to let the barrel area drop below 50*F in the winter.

I think the amount of control you need depends upon your locale, and the beers you are trying to create.

Cheers,
      Ron
      Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Comment

Humidity and Barrel aging

65-75% is a good target year round.
        drier you will be losing too much product too fast to your storage room AND wetter it encourages molds Green stinky moulds.... YuCk...

They are aged in many environs difering from this and you often just end up using what your got's, but if you are looking for a target zone and can effect some mods on the local micro environs, copy the best wine guys practices.

I have studied their best Practices and this is the zone to reach for.
        Peace T Griff

Comment

Instead of starting a new thread I'd thought I'd see if I could get the answer I'm looking for by tagging onto this one...

What do you guys do with your barrel aged beer in the dead of summer? Like when it gets in the high 80's/90's?

Is an addition to the walk-in cooler that isn't quite as cool (like keeping the temp in the 60's) the way to go?

Comment

Working...
          X